Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2017, 11:44 AM   #1

Default Leveler Crank Handle

I meant to say Stabilizer Crank Handle in the thread title. For now, I am going to use the stock stabilizing jacks on the trailer. I have the handle for raising and lowering the jacks, but I would like to use a cordless drill to raise and lower them. I have found a couple of "ready made" drill attachment handles, but they are pretty short in length, which means getting almost under the trailer to use the drill. Has anyone taken a manual crank handle and cut it off just before the angle piece for your hand? This would allow use of the drill without having to get under the trailer. Thought I'd ask before I spend $20 and ruin a perfectly good handle. Thanks.

Jwh92020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:58 PM   #2

I showed your question to Lee and neither of us are completely sure what you meant, but this is his answer. (Sorry, he would rather dictate than type.)

First, our jacks may not be in the same place as yours. He has never had to crawl under the trailer to lower them. Here is where ours are located near the edge of the trailer.

He uses both the hand crank and a cordless drill with a driver that fits the jack.

He begins lowering the jacks with the drill until they are firmly on the block. The drill will bind if he tries to get it past just firm, and he thinks that is hard on the drill, so once it reaches that point, and you can tell by the sound once you've gone too far, he takes off the drill and gives it a couple of extra cranks by hand until he feels everything is tight.

Our FF came with electric jacks, but the PO said they quit working and were just in the right spot to split his shins, so he cut them off. The drill driver came with our TT but it can't be too hard to find.

p.s. I hope these pictures post instead of just url code and they aren't huge. If they are, I'll just take them off.

Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:11 PM   #3

Marti,
Thanks for the pics. My trailer has a different type of jack, they are not the scissor type like yours. My crank handle has a slotted end on it and there are "nubs" on the threaded rod that it connects to on the threaded rodd that raises and lowers them. I'm going to buy another crank handle and cut it off and try it. Worst case, I spend $20 in a failed learning experience.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwh92020 View Post
Marti,
Thanks for the pics. My trailer has a different type of jack, they are not the scissor type like yours. My crank handle has a slotted end on it and there are "nubs" on the threaded rod that it connects to on the threaded rodd that raises and lowers them. I'm going to buy another crank handle and cut it off and try it. Worst case, I spend $20 in a failed learning experience.
I have your type of crank handle, and I did exactly what you are suggesting. Best thing I ever did. Cut it off just before the bend to get max length and use it with a drill to raise or lower my stabilzers.

Works like a charm! PS: I saved the 20 bucks and asked my dealer if they had a "spare" one around the shop, which indeed they did and he gave it to me gratis.

Either way, yes, just do it!
Old 08-01-2017, 05:21 AM   #5

DiverRick -

Thanks for the "go get em". I asked my repair guy but he doesn't have one. I'll just spend the $ and gof for it.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:38 AM   #6

https://www.campingworld.com/shoppin...ed-jacks/78795

This works well for mine. https://www.campingworld.com/shoppin...ed-jacks/78795
team dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:26 AM   #7

We're talking about his kind:

Slotted Head Drill Adapter - BAL 21100003 - Stabilizing Jacks - Camping World
Old 08-01-2017, 08:50 AM   #8

Yes I know what you are talking about. I was fortunate to have a previous trailer that had two stabilizer screw handles. When I sold it, i kept one, sawed it off at about 12 inches and use it in my cordless harbor freight drill. Makes the camping experience just a little bit better when you can raise and lower the stabilizers in 15 seconds.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:01 AM   #9

Exactly! And its one of the set up jobs my grandson loves doing for me!
Old 08-01-2017, 12:29 PM   #10

team Dougherty -
Thanks for the link, but I think that one is for jacks with a more substantial connection point on the screw. My jacks have very small "nubs" on the screws for the handle to attach to.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:32 PM   #11

twinster & DiverRick -

That is why I want to get a regular crank handle & cut it off as long as possible. I'm too old, too tired and much too lazy to want to get that up close and personal with a hand crank. Put 18 volts to it and let her rip!
Old 08-01-2017, 01:30 PM   #12

Quote:
team Dougherty -
Thanks for the link, but I think that one is for jacks with a more substantial connection point on the screw. My jacks have very small "nubs" on the screws for the handle to attach to.
The link I posted should be what you're looking for!
Old 08-02-2017, 06:19 AM   #13

Quote:
team Dougherty -
That is the one I posted. It is just a round tube with slots in it. It works on my FF very well.

Ultra Scissor Jack Drill Attachment, Fits T-Slotted Jacks https://www.campingworld.com/shoppin...ed-jacks/78795

It is just like the diverrick posted except silver. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-adapter/94198
team dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:26 AM   #14

teamDougherty -

My apologies. From the pic, it looks like the slot is wider than the slot on the crank handle I got with the trailer.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:59 AM   #15

I bought this one. Used it yesterday for the first time. God bless whoever invented them.

Slotted Head Drill Adapter - BAL 21100003 - Stabilizing Jacks - Camping World