Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2017, 12:12 PM   #1

Default Lower awning bracket pulled out of trailer

The last time dh opened the awning, a wind gust came through when he had one side raised and was walking over to the other side to do it. He grabbed at it but skewed as it was, he managed it keep the awning from flying over the top of the trailer, but tore the bracket out of the trailer. It looks like it is bolted directly to the fiberglass.

Is there anything behind the fiberglass? Any idea how to repair this?

Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:03 PM   #2

It might be anchored to the wood or metal frame inside the wall. If so you can reanchor it in another location. Otherwise, you might have to go all the way thru the wall with a bolt. If you need a new rail, go to any rv dealer and go to the manufacturer. Go luck and do let him open in the wind again. Bad thing will happen.

twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:33 PM   #3

Friend of mine had the canopy ripped clear off his class c camper in the wind this spring as he was going down the highway. It blows pretty hard at times here...and 25 MPH is just a 'slight breeze' in these parts. LOL He said the gusty wind that day was 40 - 50 MPH with higher gusts ... not uncommon here in the great plains states with little to dissipate the winds.

He pulled over and detached what was remaining attached. Instead of getting a new canopy he opted for a "sun shade sail".

Sun Shade Sail Fabric Outdoor Canopy Patio Pool Awning Cover 12' or 16' or 18' | eBay

He ordered the triangle shape and attaches it to the side of the camper and has a telescoping pole for the 3rd point. Both wind and rain will pass thru but it provides shade from the sun.

I wanted a 'sun shade' over my house deck and didn't want a permenent structure constructed so got an oblong one. It's been up for near a month and serves the purpose. Neither rain nor wind have been an issue. I"ll take it down just before the snows arrive tho.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:20 PM   #4

I've seen those and they are a good option. We have a patio room that attaches to the awning so couldn't do that.
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote