Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2018, 08:02 AM   #1

Default metal Bars under camper

On a recent trip we had several problems with our 2014 214WSD Fun ?Finder. First one of the fenders flew off the camper while traveling on the highway. When we pulled off to inspect I looked under the trailer and found two metal bars under the trailer. One had come unattached at one end and was hanging down. It appears they were only attached by 1 screw at each end bracket. Note the bracket at each end of the bars have a place for 4 screws
What is the purpose of these bars.

artwingo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:17 AM   #2

Are the bars under the fresh water tank?

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:20 AM   #3

• I am not sure where the fresh water tank is located as under my camper is
    sealed with a black cloth. Looking under the camper from the back towards
    the front the bars are located a little to the left and appear under the
    slide. The bars are l shaped.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:17 PM   #4

Do the bars run front to rear or side to side?

On my 2012 the water tank is mounted aft of the slide, between and over the axles and is held in place with three "T" beams, each of which have two self tapping screws at each end. There's also a cross beam that hold the end of the tank and to which one end of the longitudinal beams attach.

Do you have any pictures by chance?

2012 FunFinder X-214WSD
2005 F150 FX4
SWFL FlyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:40 PM   #5

I do not have pictures. The bars are about 4.5 feet long with a flange at each end and each flange has four screw holes. I note it appears only one self tapping screw was in the flange end that came loose. The other flanges only have two screws in them.
The bars run front to back and are side by side to each other. I do not have a cross beam.
Thanks for your reply
Old 02-20-2018, 02:48 PM   #6

Those sure sound like tank support bars. Mine also have four holes at each end (although only two are used) and are 43-3/4" long.

In my previous post I said they were "T" beams, but they're actually just angle iron with flanges on the ends. I know this for sure because they're sitting on my workbench in the garage while I figure out my water tank repair/replace issue...

2012 FunFinder X-214WSD
2005 F150 FX4
SWFL FlyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:32 PM   #7
M&M

I agree sounds like the water tank supports. Assuming you have some water in your tank, try pushing up on the fabric to see if you can feel a tank underneath. If you feel something hard under the fabric try pushing and releasing it and listen to hear water sloshing.
Equal-i-zer 600/6000 hitch
M&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:36 AM   #8

Every spring when I get my XT276 toy hauler out of winter storage, I go over the entire unit; inside, outside, roof AND underneath to make sure all is secure, in place and it should be.

Also turn on the propane tanks and check all propane hose fittings with soapy water.

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"
Old 02-21-2018, 07:16 AM   #9

My water tank is empty. The bars appear to be attached to some type of plywood.

Thanks
Old 02-21-2018, 07:22 AM   #10

Thanks; I am usually very safety minded but I never thought to look underneath the camper. I am glad I caught the lose bar before it came off on the interstate.
What really bothers me is the bars has a flange with four screw holes in it for attaching but only one screw was put in the one that came loose and the other flanges only have two screws.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:33 PM   #11

I would have to agree with the other posts that these bars are for supporting your fresh water tank. If they are it concerns me that they are fastened into wood. Mine are fastened into the metal cross braces under the trailer. I would be checking all points of fastening if it was me. Silverado
Old 02-24-2018, 01:32 PM   #12

As Silverado stated above, the water tank cross bars on my unit are also fastened into metal, not wood.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:51 AM   #13

It appears the bars are attached to wood but I am not sure. Underneath the camper is covered with a black cloth but looking at the hole the screw came out of it appears to be wood fragments. The screws are short and self tapping.