Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2016, 10:55 PM   #41

Oh...funny me... I miss read your post about the dogs. I put a comma after dogs.... and assumned that you meant for your dogs to go into that spot sort of like a dog house, along with their food and water....so I pictured Teacup Chiuauasas (or however you spell it).... Duh. I'm getting too old for this.

Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:01 PM   #42

I really like your bunk remodel. We took ours down and I was going to put a shelf up there, but after seeing yours, a rebuild might be in order - unless we get a new RV.

Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:48 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marti View Post
I really like your bunk remodel. We took ours down and I was going to put a shelf up there, but after seeing yours, a rebuild might be in order - unless we get a new RV.
Thanks. It was pretty easy using the same old stuff that was up there and just cutting it down in the right places. After I had it all ripped out, I liked it better with NO cabinets but Mrs. Chirpz did not approve so I continued with my original plan of trimming it down and moving it up.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:32 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirpz View Post
thanks for the tip... I will take a look. Interesting. Is it a round hole like a cigarette lighter?
Yep, round

Liz

2008 189FBR & 2014 FORD F150
Tons of Free or Inexpensive Mods WackyPup.Blogspot.com
PaintyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:11 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintyLiz View Post
Yep, round

Liz

2008 189FBR & 2014 FORD F150
Tons of Free or Inexpensive Mods WackyPup.Blogspot.com

Whoo Hooo!! I went out to check and sure enough, there is a round 12v plug inconveniently located behind the TV just like you said. I don't know why I missed it before. Since our TV is glued securely in place, we will never use it. Our new ones over the table are very convenient and we are finding them to be useful.

Its nice to know that we do have an extra one back there. May be we will use it if I can talk Mrs Chirpz into ditching the TV.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:04 PM   #46

Quote:
Whoo Hooo!! I went out to check and sure enough, there is a round 12v plug inconveniently located behind the TV just like you said. ... May be we will use it if I can talk Mrs Chirpz into ditching the TV.
Glad I could help. I have never used a 12 volt plug, and even though I knew it was there, I just recently figured out what it was haha

I have the same tv problem with my spousal unit Although I have to admit that we were in the camper over 6 months last year and didn't watch a single thing. Anyway, you may be interested in my solution to make more storage (well I had to since I put a washer in the wardrobe) anyway - I moved the tv over to the foot of the bed. I came up with a really good way to secure it to the wall - I'm trying to get the photos ready to blog.

Thought you'd get a kick out of the box I made to fit into the area by the inverter -

Other than the front, I don't think there are any square angles

Liz
Old 10-04-2016, 10:51 AM   #47

Smile

Quote:
Yea!! I raised the front cabinet! Now we can get in and out of bed without bumping our heads. We can even sit up in bed and read. What a NICE difference.

If you want to do the same, you probably can. It is not super easy, but I would not call it difficult either. Sort of in between. Here is a simple run down on the the procedure.

1. Remove cabinet doors using philips screw driver (Drill gun with screw tip is nice.)

2. Let the cabinet down into the bed position. Remove all the hinges. Remove the cabinet front from the trailer. Remove the flip latches.

3. From beneath, remove all the screws that you can get to that fasten the bottom shelf to the aluminum rails. In my case, 4 screws were hidden behind the curtains. I left them for last and then using a thin pry bar and a little elbow grease, I pried the shelf upward ripping the screws out in the process. It was not difficult. (You do not have to remove the curtains!!)

4. Draw a line along the top of the metal railing on both sides of the trailer so that you know exactly where it was. Remove all the metal railings and the wood backer that is behind the front railing. Also remove any misc plastic trim that is in the way.

5. A skill saw is now required. This is the hardest part. Trim the back of the shelf so that it is 15 1/4" wide. (Always cut stuff upside down so that the saw does not scratch up the good surface.) (Use your own measurement in case our trailers are different.)

6. Cut the cabinet front down 7 3/4 inches. I cut 5 3/4" from the top of it and the other 2" from the bottom of it. (Make your own measurements rather than using mine...just in case your trailer is different.) In my case, the resulting cabinet front ended up 14" tall.

7. Cut a piece of 14" scrap and use it to measure down from the top of the trailer and make a mark on one side. This should be where the top of your metal should be. Extend the mark to the front of the trailer measuring up from the line you made previously. Repeat on both sides.

8. Cut the side metal down to 15". Attach it with glue and screws to the sides. Attach the wood filler and front metal using glue and screws. (You may have to nail the wood in place first, then screw the metal to it.)

9. Lay the shelf down on the rails, trim side out and screw it in place from beneath.

10. Set the cabinet front on top of the shelf and screw it in place with some long screws from beneath. Re-attach the latches to hold the top.

11.. Mount the cabinet doors. Smile you are done.

12. I purchased and used all new screws because the original screws are cheap and poorly shaped and difficult to re-apply. Make sure your screws are long enough to do the job but no long enough to pass completely through the walls.

In the pictures you can see a line where the old front rail was located. I will need to put a piece of trim over this joint but have not purchased it yet. The shelf used to cover this ugly joint.
Nice. Now you can do what that other woman did and raise the window valances to let in more light as well.
dogs_rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:05 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs_rule View Post
Nice. Now you can do what that other woman did and raise the window valances to let in more light as well.
Hmmm.... I'll ponder that one. I did not remove them in the process because they seem very difficult to remove. They must have been put up there by someone with very tiny hands, or I am missing something simple.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:00 PM   #49

Liz's page Wackypup (sp?) shows her renos -- she posted earlier in this particular thread. I believe, as in mine, they (the valances) are attached by a simple L-bracket. You have to get the blinds out to really be able to access it. My blinds detached by prying a very tiny metal clip thing way up that is hard to see. I'm going to do the diningroom valance first as I took those folded cloth-type blinds down and will replace with venicians tacked in at the bottom like the ones over the kitchen sink. I'll do the kitchen sink valance as well as that window is so tiny. Then once I see about doing your bunkbed thing, I'll raise the valances over the bed and maybe do some venetians there as well so I can have privacy but still get fresh air at night when I'm off road and won't have the a/c on.
dogs_rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:08 PM   #50

Quote:

Thought you'd get a kick out of the box I made to fit into the area by the inverter -

Other than the front, I don't think there are any square angles

Liz
Yes I do feel kicked!! That is an odd shape for a box alright. Looks handy dandy!
Old 10-04-2016, 03:21 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs_rule View Post
Liz's page Wackypup (sp?) shows her renos -- she posted earlier in this particular thread. I believe, as in mine, they (the valances) are attached by a simple L-bracket. You have to get the blinds out to really be able to access it. .
Yes, the valances are held in with an L bracket. First you remove the blind and the easiest way is to draw it up tight and then reach up in there and twist your wrists, like pull the bottom forward and tip the top backwards. Or maybe it's the other way around, I should remember I just did it yesterday LOL The blind should pop right out.

I just removed all the valances and blinds in my camper because the last time we were in it, I realized that you get no air flow when the blinds are down. So I am replacing them with curtains. So of course this leads to five other projects I have to get done before I can make the curtains LOL

We have been camping a lot of places where it is cool and damp, some of the blinds actually even got mildewed. I like everything in the camper to be removable and washable.

Liz
Old 10-05-2016, 07:07 AM   #52

Quote:
Hmmm.... I'll ponder that one. I did not remove them in the process because they seem very difficult to remove. They must have been put up there by someone with very tiny hands, or I am missing something simple.
We removed our Original ones and constructed new ones. Did not feel a need to raise them up though. We eliminated the "swoops" on them though. Pictures in my gallery.
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:00 PM   #53

Hey Chirpz - I found more storage. well, actually, it's not 'more' it's just a better use. I added an under bed box well, under the bed.

Believe it or not, a 35" box fits under there!!

Liz
Old 11-14-2016, 09:32 PM   #54

Quote:
Hey Chirpz - I found more storage. well, actually, it's not 'more' it's just a better use. I added an under bed box well, under the bed.

Liz
That IS a handy dandy storage spot and I already have a nice box there but I could NOT find one as big as yours.... Where did you find that? I think mine is only 24"
Old 11-14-2016, 09:38 PM   #55

LOL well, have two sons move and leave you all their stuff and you'll find all kinds of things. My daughter-in-law is an aficionado of under bed boxes, I got about 7 all different sizes. This one fit. I think it's a sterlite, but not sure, I will look tomorrow if I remember. I also made a hinged prop stick that makes looking under the bed a lot easier and hopefully safer (see it here) Really, because the giant memory foam mattress is so heavy, until I put the prop-stick under there yesterday, the storage was virtually useless. I had the bed SLAM my head between the frame and the base once so I'm a bit leery LOL.

(gee, maybe I better put larger screws in that prop stick now that I think about it)

lol

Liz
Old 11-14-2016, 09:49 PM   #56

Thanks. I would love to know the make and model of that box. I have a prop stick but its not as nice as yours. Mine is just a stick but it is secure when I use it and lays in the box when I don't. I don't think my lid lifts up as high as your.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:52 PM   #57

Quote:
Thanks. I would love to know the make and model of that box. I have a prop stick but its not as nice as yours. Mine is just a stick but it is secure when I use it and lays in the box when I don't. I don't think my lid lifts up as high as your.
yeah, well, I had a stick with nice notches on each end that securely held the bed up, until one day, while my head was under there working on the pump, it no longer held the bed up and SLAMMED my head into the base. That was the day I decided I was not going to use that for storage until I figured out some way to keep from ever having that happen again.

I think yours will open that high if you JAM THE PROP STICK IN REALLY HARD . ...

LOL
Old 11-14-2016, 09:53 PM   #58

It was also the day I figured out to cut an access door in the front so I don't have to stick my head under there very often.

Our mattress must weigh 100# (well, I'm sure it didn't, but with acceleration, and gravity, and physics and the hardness of the wood, it sure felt like it when it SLAMMED my head)
Old 02-27-2017, 08:43 AM   #59

Quote:

Liz
Thanks for this. I went and bought that box and installed it. A great place for extra blankets and such.
team dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:14 PM   #60

Yeah, sorry about that, I kept forgetting to take a picture of the label for you, but I see you found it.

Liz