Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2010, 08:47 PM   #1

Default My Springtime Surprise - Help!

Hi,

I went out to my 2007 189FBR this evening to see how it fared the winter and discovered some internal damage. As it was getting a bit dark and the battery is still is the garage, I couldn't investigate as much as I might have liked to. However, I found two issues that I think are probably unrelated. Perhaps someone can offer some ideas on what might have happened and what can be done to repair it.

Problem 1:
The vinyl flooring is split from front to back. There is a great big crack in it that runs the length of the trailer. It has split apart about a quarter to a half of an inch and it looks as if it was torn (fairly jagged edge). Has anyone ever heard of this happening? Any ideas what might have happened and how I might fix it?

Problem 2:
There is water ingress at the front. The front bunk appeared to be completely dry as the bedding wasn't stained or damp at all. The wall/roof/bunk platform was the same - no stains, dampness, signs of water damage as all. The main bed was a different story. There was a huge water stain over it, the front blind was water stained as well and as far as I could tell, the bed platform showed signs of water damage as well. When I pressed on the wall seam below the window, a drop of water squeezed out. The pass-through storage area below the bed looked like it had not been damaged, but it was getting pretty dark by then and I am not certain. I am thinking the front window is leaking as all of the damage seems to be below this. Is this common? Any other opinions? How might one fix this?

Thanks so much and I sincerely hope the rest of you have a better Spring discovery than me.

Take care,
Steve

tymber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:31 AM   #2
Site Team

I have heard that the front windows in general (not necessarily specific to fun finder) are a weak point and can be prone to leaking. My guess is that the leak is what also caused the vinyl flooring to crack. Check to see if the floor beneath the vinyl has any water damage.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:34 PM   #3

I got out there and had a better look. The source of the leak does seem to be the front window and all water damage is below this.

More interesting is the floor. There is NO sign of water damage to the plywood subfloor anywhere. However, on closer examination, it appears that the vinyl flooring is only glued down around its perimeter. What appears to have happened is the adhesive came loose by the right side wheel well and the vinyl flooring material, not stuck down, began to shrink a bit (the material does this on its own or so I am told), and had to give some so it tore the rest of the floor to each end in order to make up for the shrinking in the middle (boy would a picture really tell the story better than me). I think it is safe to say it was bad luck that will be a tricky fix. Man are RVs poorly made!

Does anyone know if vinyl flooring gets stretchier when heated? I am thinking with a few guys and a few heat guns, we might be able to heat up the flooring, stretch it back, and glue it back where it should be. The torn bits are quite clean and could probably be patched and not really noticed (most is under "furniture" anyway).

Steve
Old 04-06-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
Site Team

I'm not sure about trailer construction. But that is how home vinyl flooring is installed. They stretch it and glue it around the perimeter and the center 'floats'. Then over time it tightens up. Sounds like yours may not have been glued down properly to start with.

Not sure if you can restretch with a heat gun, but it sounds reasonable. You might also check with someone who does home vinyl repair. If there are any special tools or adhesives/sealants they would have them already. At the very least they may give you a few tips.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:34 AM   #5

Default Re: My Springtime Surprise - Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymber
Hi,

I went out to my 2007 189FBR this evening to see how it fared the winter and discovered some internal damage. As it was getting a bit dark and the battery is still is the garage, I couldn't investigate as much as I might have liked to. However, I found two issues that I think are probably unrelated. Perhaps someone can offer some ideas on what might have happened and what can be done to repair it.

Problem 1:
The vinyl flooring is split from front to back. There is a great big crack in it that runs the length of the trailer. It has split apart about a quarter to a half of an inch and it looks as if it was torn (fairly jagged edge). Has anyone ever heard of this happening? Any ideas what might have happened and how I might fix it?

Problem 2:
There is water ingress at the front. The front bunk appeared to be completely dry as the bedding wasn't stained or damp at all. The wall/roof/bunk platform was the same - no stains, dampness, signs of water damage as all. The main bed was a different story. There was a huge water stain over it, the front blind was water stained as well and as far as I could tell, the bed platform showed signs of water damage as well. When I pressed on the wall seam below the window, a drop of water squeezed out. The pass-through storage area below the bed looked like it had not been damaged, but it was getting pretty dark by then and I am not certain. I am thinking the front window is leaking as all of the damage seems to be below this. Is this common? Any other opinions? How might one fix this?

Thanks so much and I sincerely hope the rest of you have a better Spring discovery than me.

Take care,
Steve

My front window had sprung a leak twice getting my bed and blind soaked. youll prob have to pull it out and reseal it. ive only done this twice now since i bought my trailer new in 07 its a bunch of BS.
queball110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #6

in 2007 there was a bunch of bad lino in the industry, Jayco had a lot of problems at well, you should check with funfinder to see if they may help.
deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:29 PM   #7

Default Leak Around the Front Window

Had the same problem with my 2006 T-139. Recheck the caulk annually around the window and replace as necessary. This is an unforgiving leak if not checked annually. I also found that I needed to put clear silicone caulk in the rail closest to the glass on the outside to fill the channel so as to lift the water so it will pour out the front. I also installed a piece of 42" aluminum channel using J-B Weld above the window to catch the water as it poured down from the roof. It channels the water to either side of the window. No problems since. Hope this helps.
kegbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:10 AM   #8

I would check the top lights. That is where the bulk of water came in with my unit. The entire front wall had to be removed. There was also no seal between the fiberglass and the lower aluminum piece. The other problem was that who ever put the front together tucked the tarp that is under the frame up into the inside front holding all of the water. You can't see this since the inside section is paneled by a fake wall, but it might be worth your while to cut in an access hole. At least then you would know if it is leaking right away. With the current design the water is held in place by the fiberglass insulation and the vinyl plywood sheet, and doesn't appear for some time, basically when it's too late. I will post some pictures when I get a chance on the damage and the repair. Right now the unit is still in the repair shop waiting for it to dry.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:21 PM   #9

Default UPDATE

Fun Finder footed the bill for the floor repair (Yay!!) even though it was off warranty. I am thinking there was some kind of secret recall on the floor or something as all the guy I contacted asked for was the VIN and then said they'd pay to fix it. No complaints from me. The dealer told me it was an $800 repair.

Concerning the leak:
I got really intimate with my caulking gun. I shot the upper lights first. Still leaked. Then I did the front window in several places and it still leaked. Then I basically sealed up every part of the front window assembly that has a seam in in it and I think that did the trick. I am still checking after each rain to see if it is leaking. So far so good. I like the advice of putting a piece of flashing-like material above the window to deflect the water that pours off the roof. Now I just have to maintain.

Thanks all for their help and suggestions.

Steve
Old 07-13-2010, 10:43 PM   #10

Glad to hear you had a good outcome on it.
guybmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:31 PM   #11

yes... we bought an 05 and the front window leaked so bad, it ruined the wall underneath. the whole window was replaced at first for $800

later, we noticed the wall was STILL rotting. took it to a different place and they said not only was the window still leaking, but the outside lights were leaking and some other leaking around the edge trim.

that cost 1200 to rebuild the entire front. they did a good job and replaced the wall with a better material

thing seems pretty good now!
bettyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:21 AM   #12

Send a message via MSN to Hammykat Send a message via Yahoo to Hammykat

Where can I see your damage and repair ? What did it cost ?
Old 04-16-2016, 07:23 AM   #13

Katherine, this thread is 6 years old, and the OP has not logged in since then. I suspect he has left the building !
gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammykat View Post
Where can I see your damage and repair ? What did it cost ?
Hi Karherine,
I have been told by several folks that front window leaks are a problem... I am guessing that like most things, proper maintenance and inspections greatly reduce issues...

I purchased my trailer used and the entire front cap had been replaced with aluminum, and the window removed. I was told the front cap collided with a large owl at about 60 mph and broke the cap (I can only assume it wasn't great for the owl either)...

I have no window to compare, but there are no leaks... I do not know what was charged for the repair, but I know the guy that did the work, he's close to me in MN...
Attached Thumbnails
Trailer Front Clip Only - 600.jpg  

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:15 PM   #15

For my front window i was thinking if purchasing one if those things that go over the window in a sloped hatchbac?. Hoping to get somethimg from a junk yard. It's on my list. But soooo many other lproblems.
dogs_rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegbender View Post
I also installed a piece of 42" aluminum channel using J-B Weld above the window to catch the water as it poured down from the roof. It channels the water to either side of the window. No problems since. Hope this helps.
That is a great idea. I replaced the original window with a window that has a sliding Center panel. It leaks, and since I apparently warped it a little bit when I installed it, the rock guard cover doesn't seal tightly. I have been thinking of putting a water barrier over the top, but wasn't sure what would work. Can you please send me a link or a photo of the aluminum channel that you used? Have you driven with it on and has it stayed in place? Does J-B Weld hold up well enough? Thank you in advance!

Liz
Old 10-22-2018, 06:56 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintyLiz View Post
That is a great idea. I replaced the original window with a window that has a sliding Center panel. It leaks, and since I apparently warped it a little bit when I installed it, the rock guard cover doesn't seal tightly. I have been thinking of putting a water barrier over the top, but wasn't sure what would work. Can you please send me a link or a photo of the aluminum channel that you used? Have you driven with it on and has it stayed in place? Does J-B Weld hold up well enough? Thank you in advance!

Liz
Just so you know, that post was from 2010 and the person who wrote it has not been on here in over eight years. I wouldn't hold my breath for a reply.

2012 FunFinder X-214WSD
2005 F150 FX4
SWFL FlyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL FlyFisher View Post
Just so you know, that post was from 2010 and the person who wrote it has not been on here in over eight years. I wouldn't hold my breath for a reply.
LOL, yeah I noticed it was an old thread but I was hoping this was an active poster. I guess I didn't even think to look.

Guess it's time for me to wander around Home Depot and see what I can find. Thanks for the heads up!

Liz
Old 10-22-2018, 11:01 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintyLiz View Post

Liz
Brilliant (and cheaper im sure).

dogs_rule is offline   Reply With Quote