Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2018, 06:04 PM   #1

Default Need advice about fridge

Hi, we are new to the Fun Finder Club. We just bought a 2011, 189 FBS and we are not sure the fridge is functioning properly. The fridge seems cold enough and the freezer works well but the fan seems to run almost continuously. It is a Domestic; model number DM2652LBX. There is an electronic whirring sound that lasts for about 10 seconds then its quiet for 10 seconds then whirs for 10 seconds, quiet for 10 and on and on continually......We have just bought and have not gone camping yet, but i just know this is going to be very annoying at night. Any idea if this is normal? If not ideas of what the problem is? We had a motorhome with a fairly new fridge (3 years old) and it did not make this sound. Thanks so much for your help.

Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:45 PM   #2

Exclamation Same problem

We have a 2011 x210 and the exact same thing is happening to us. Maintenance man at the park we’re at said it’s not normal but that was all he said. Tonight, we noticed the fridge leaking onto the floor. The noise is keeping us up as well too.

Help!

crushingvoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:10 PM   #3

Some folks have disconnected the fans. (Ours does not have a fan.) . I would not try disconnecting it on the road -- try it at home under controlled conditions, monitoring the temp and making sure that the air is moving well from the bottom vents across the coils and out the top vents.

Other folks have installed 12v computer fans -- supposedly much quieter and much less electricity used.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:50 PM   #4

Are you running it on gas or electric? Does it do the same either way? Our is dead quiet. I don't think it has a fan. It is same brand but probably 2008 model.
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:34 AM   #5

I just installed a 140 mm dual fan with a controller in my 2014 223rbs. Fridge temps were fluctuating drastically on AC. Found it was the crappy small computer fan that was the culprit. Runs off a thermal switch. new fans are adjustable and super quiet. Check at the rear vent for the fan and the sensor.
appraisalserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:04 AM   #6

Default Need advice about fridge

Thanks, everybody, for your quick replies and useful advice! We will look into replacing the fan. Good to know that this is NOT normal and we can do something about it. I love this Club already!!
Old 08-03-2018, 10:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
.....There is an electronic whirring sound that lasts for about 10 seconds then its quiet for 10 seconds then whirs for 10 seconds, quiet for 10 and on and on continually......
Another thought, are you positive the sound is coming from the fridge? Could it be coming from behind the electrical panel which is probably very close.

There is a cooling fan in the converter panel that comes on and off all the time, usually depending on the amount of load.

You can always try testing this turn on every light and 12v appliance you can and you should hear that cooling fan, then if you start turning everything back off, you will eventually hear the fan go off.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:15 AM   #8
Site Team

Your fridge most likely did not come with a fan. Usually a fan is only required to be installed in applications where there is no roof vent, like when it's installed in a slide. Most likely it was added by a PO. Increasing air flow across the fridge coils will improve performance, but if the fridge is installed properly it's not necessary. I have the same model fridge with no fan and it works fine even in 100+ degree temps.

I would disconnect it and see if there is any loss in performance. If so, there is likely another issue.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:21 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by crushingvoice View Post
We have a 2011 x210 and the exact same thing is happening to us. Maintenance man at the park we’re at said it’s not normal but that was all he said. Tonight, we noticed the fridge leaking onto the floor. The noise is keeping us up as well too.

Help!
What is leaking on the floor? Water? If so check to make sure that the drain tube from the tray under the coils is not either clogged or broken off. If water is leaking onto the floor, my first thought is that the hose is broken allowing the condensate to drain onto the floor. The drain hoses are cheapy thin wall plastic and break pretty easily.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverRick View Post
Another thought, are you positive the sound is coming from the fridge? Could it be coming from behind the electrical panel which is probably very close.

There is a cooling fan in the converter panel that comes on and off all the time, usually depending on the amount of load.

You can always try testing this turn on every light and 12v appliance you can and you should hear that cooling fan, then if you start turning everything back off, you will eventually hear the fan go off.
It sounds like it's coming from the fridge. It is much louder when you open the freezer compartment; sounds like it is directly behind the freezer. We will try checking the electrical panel though, thanks.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ View Post
Your fridge most likely did not come with a fan. Usually a fan is only required to be installed in applications where there is no roof vent, like when it's installed in a slide. Most likely it was added by a PO. Increasing air flow across the fridge coils will improve performance, but if the fridge is installed properly it's not necessary. I have the same model fridge with no fan and it works fine even in 100+ degree temps.

I would disconnect it and see if there is any loss in performance. If so, there is likely another issue.
Thanks LJAZ, we'll try that first. Always game to try the simplest solution😊 - crossing my fingers!
Old 08-12-2018, 11:22 AM   #12

Is your fridge in the slide-out? My 189FDS has the fridge in the slide out and it failed to cool properly every time the outside temperature was over 80. Turns out Cruiser RV installed the fridge with improper venting and the fans are workaround.

I attached a couple of images of my situation.

Because there wasn’t room to move the vent, we resolved to installing a shorter fridge
Attached Thumbnails
755A44CD-01E2-44BF-B4C6-701BCC917F10.jpg   C1E5E1E8-ADE5-4618-A2D8-2C7515B66E37.jpeg  
Old 08-12-2018, 04:40 PM   #13

Frig tips. Temp monitoring: $10 Walmart Accurate indoor/outdoor thermometer. Almost always in stock. For frig's without fans, battery operator ones (Walmart, CampingWorld) really do work and make a difference.

lucynricky is offline   Reply With Quote