Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2018, 08:36 AM   #1

Default Need Mattress Advice

As you probably have seen from the other threads I posted today, I am buying a 2012 Fun Finder M-189 FBS and it is coming with no mattress. What is the size of the mattress space in this camper and does anyone have any advice on a quality light replacement mattress for this trailer? It does not need to be cheap but I'm also not going to spend $800 on a mattress I will be sleeping on 30 nights a year.

Thanks!

scoobybri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:35 AM   #2

We use a thick mattress topper from Costco -- memory foam.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:57 AM   #3

We are using an 8" queen memory foam mattress from Amazon, $225. I like it better than our TempurPedic. 8" thick still leaves enough room to use the long handle that opens the emergency exit. It's comfortable, but not light weight. We have a 2008 189-FBR

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
etischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:22 PM   #4

I also replaced mine with an 8" memory foam from amazon. Great mattress. The mattress does interfere with the window operation of the tilt out windows. The bar that opens the window rubs on the mattress. My feet bump it in the night sometimes and the windows closes.
team dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:02 PM   #5

team dougherty, I cut a small piece of dense foam to fit into the little opening above that bar so that it wedges it in place -- now, when my feet hit the bar, the window does not close!
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:15 PM   #6

Use any old mattrass that you know the history of, and then bought a Memory foam from Costco approx 6 inches high for $ 180 and we put that on top. We are sleeping like royalty ! Highly recommended!
Old 07-31-2018, 06:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
team dougherty, I cut a small piece of dense foam to fit into the little opening above that bar so that it wedges it in place -- now, when my feet hit the bar, the window does not close!
Thanks, I may try that.
team dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:48 AM   #8

I tried a memory foam topper on the factory excuse for a mattress. It didn't help any and the foam topper holds heat so very hot.
Ditched them both and put in a Beauty Rest mattress. Love it.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:55 AM   #9

Mine is an older Ff I bought it used and the first thing I did was take the skanky old mattress out. It wasn’t light so I doubt weight will be a problem. I put in a 4” foam mattress - memory foam mix? Sleep well. I am going to try putting an IKEA curved slat thing underneath as I noticed that after camping in it for two months late into the Fall, there appeared to but a be a bit of mildew appearing on the plywood underneath h the mattress. Not sure if it’s because I generate a lot of heat and at night it was going a few degrees below freezing so forming condensation under the mattress? but I figured some air movement underneath the mattress would be good for it either way.
dogs_rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:22 PM   #10

We have an 07 189FBS and has a standard queen mattress which I believe is 60“ x 80“
Like some of the other posters we bought a memory foam topper from Costco (temperpedic),as well it works great.
Tow package 8.1L Allison 5 Speed Transmission
Nwfunfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 01:29 PM   #11

We have a 9" thick 100% natural latex queen. 9" is about the maximum thickness you can use and still be able to open the emergency exit window lever on your model. We consider our trailer mattress to be better than the very expensive 14" thick innerspring CalKing we sleep on at home. The minor downside is that latex is probably the heaviest mattress of the same dimensions you can buy. Ours consists of three, 3" layers zipped into a cotton/wool cover. The bottom two layers are known as Dunlop latex and the top 3" is called Talalay latex which is softer. We slept for over 20 years on a TempurPedic at home and will not go back to that. A bonus of the zip cover is you can move the mattress layers one at a time into the trailer. Otherwise it is like trying to wrestle a gorilla. By the way, the word latex is used rather loosely in the mattress industry. However, 100% natural is the only latex you would want to consider assuming you have any interest in latex at all.
2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
jbfunfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:42 AM   #12

We ended up buying a 6-inch Lucid dual memory foam mattress. About 40 pounds. My wife and I slept well on it over the weekend. Sooooo much better than the flimsy spring mattresses that come in most travel trailers we saw when we were shopping for ours. Here's a link to the Amazon page for the mattress. Also comes in 8" thickness at 50 pounds.

scoobybri is offline   Reply With Quote