Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2015, 10:39 AM   #1

Default Need some advice with showet plumbing

Hey every one. Its been a while since I been on but I have a quick question. When I was camping last october I used the shower and i was boon docking so to conserve water I turned the hot and cold water off to lather up. Now when it came time to rinse I had to readjust the water temp. so in my quest to try and make things easier is ther some type of valve that I can put in between the hot/cold valves and the shower head? This would make it alot easier taking a shower since I would be able to leave the hot/cold valve where they are and just stop the qater to the shower head. I think I wasted more water setting the right temp then I did during the actural shower.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:52 PM   #2

Mine has a on/off on the shower head(,unless you changed out factory one you should have the same one I have.
On the sink valves turn on hot all the way and turn cold like 1/4 turn and it should be perfect temp.

2017 Keystone Summerland 1750RD
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:45 PM   #3

For exactly that reason (to avoid readjusting the temp), I put a shutoff valve on the hose near the showerhead. The built in shutoff did not fully shut the water off -- a little would still dribble out. The hard part is getting a valve that matches the diameter and the thread of the hose. A good plumbing supply store may have it in stock -- big hardware stores like Lowe's or Home Depot may not.

And Camping World will have the valve, but their prices tend to be pretty high, I have found.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:26 PM   #4

I learned about this little beauty on my Women's Camping Forum - Oxygenics RV Shower Head. I put it on the new trailer, but it leaks. Need to tweak it if the weather ever warms up! Mine is white plastic.

The ladies say it really improves water pressure, also. I have not tried it yet.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:26 PM   #5

Michelle, here is a trick that may solve the leak -- teflon tape! Any hardware store will have it. Get the thin white kind, not the thicker green or purple stuff used for natural gas lines. Just wrap it once around the "male" portion of the threads and insert that portion into the "female" portion of the fixture, and hand-tighten -- no need for pliers, which could damage the threads or the finish on the fixture. (Sorry for the politically incorrect terms -- but those are indeed the terms that plumbers use.)
Old 01-13-2015, 06:30 PM   #6

Thanks, Dan. I'll give it a try. I think I inherited some of that stuff...

One thing I HATE on this new trailer is the shower being hooked up to the sink plumbing...jeesh, whose bright idea was that? How are you not supposed to get water on the floor - cut a hole in the shower curtain?
Old 01-14-2015, 09:11 AM   #7

Michelle, what do you mean about the sink?? Isn't the shower in a separate compartment?
Old 01-14-2015, 09:32 AM   #8

The shower hose is attached to the middle of the sink faucets...you have to run the shower hose from the sink to the shower, and it's not a wet bath like my first FF...

PITA was the designer...
Old 01-14-2015, 05:38 PM   #9

That is a crazy design! It should be possible to tap in below the sink and run pipes to a fixture inside the shower, but it would cost some money to get it done by a pro. If you are feeling ambitious and handy, the PEX lines are pretty easy to work with, except that you have to buy a special tool for doing so.

I just can't believe that Cruiser would design a system so that the hose runs from outside the bathroom into the shower -- really?? Have you spoken to the dealer? Is this true on every new unit??
Old 01-14-2015, 06:30 PM   #10

It's not outside the bathroom - it's in the sink IN the bathroom. Oh, I need to put a few more steps on my Fitbit...I'll go get a pic.

Don't mind the mess - I'm getting ready to hit the road...
Old 01-14-2015, 06:38 PM   #11

Mitch,
The way I eliminate ( key word there: "eliminate" ) water from escaping the shower area is that I use a full size shower curtain, intended for residential use, and when I step into the shower, I effectively have the curtain "wrapped" around me on about "three and and a half sides". The supply hose for the shower head from the bathroom lav sink snakes along the side wall.
Not the most user friendly shower for sure....but hey, you're a runt ( ! ) ....so it ought to leave you plenty of room !

geo

ps. obviously, the critical place water will escape is if you accidentally kick the bottom of the shower curtain outside the shower pan.
gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:41 PM   #12

Way to cheap out on the plumbing, eh?

Old 01-14-2015, 06:45 PM   #13

DID YOU JUST CALL ME A RUNT? HUH, DID YA?
I resemble that remark...

That's okay. I am.

And to be 100% certain no water would escape from the shower would be to not take one...

PS: one of the first things I did was replace the OEM curtain with a new one. Still hate the shower, though. Small price to pay for such a great layout.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:48 PM   #14

I agree it was cheaper for them to build it that way, But.... it also simplifies the plumbing for us users later on in that it eliminates the need to have plumbing inside the wall, where leaks/repairs would be difficult and costly. Having plumbing inside that exterior wall would subject it to freezing temps when that is encountered.
So again, I agree it's a less expensive way to do it, but for what it is, at least for me, it serves the purpose. But then, I almost exclusively use the showerhouse at the CG because I am a wuss that likes full serve campgrounds !

EDIT: and yes, LOL, I called 'ya a runt ! ( WTH...you can't even touch the ceiling without a step ladder ! ) But that's ok, me and the little black dog love you and the little white beast anyway ! So it's all good !!!
Now hook that camper up to the pretty red truck and go traveling !
gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photographics
...because I am a wuss that likes full serve campgrounds !
I know - I'm a runt and you're a wuss...I prefer dry camping and I wish there was a way to turn that bathroom into a wet bath.

Oh, well - I have my solar shower, sink baths (AKA, well, never mind - you know what the AKA is...) and I'm looking at an Instant Hot Water shower. Just starting research.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:52 PM   #16

Oh, now I see what you mean...on my first FF, the shower plumbing was on an inside wall.

This one is still stupid.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:19 AM   #17

I think I have a cheap and effective solution to this problem! Get a longer hose. Route the hose up the wall, next to the mirror, and across the top of the shower curtain, and then down a little to the bracket. That way, you can close the curtain completely.

The longer hose can be fastened to the wall with cable ties or plastic brackets so that it does not flop around.

Yes, this is not an elegant solution, and yes, it would have been nicer if they had run the plumbing inside the wall. But it is what it is, as they say.

Let me know if this idea works for you!
Old 01-15-2015, 10:39 AM   #18

Where do I get a longer shower hose?
Old 01-15-2015, 12:55 PM   #19

Maybe Camping World or a good plumbing supply store? Not at Lowe's or Home Depot. When shopping, be sure to bring in your old hose -- the thread and diameter have to match, and the thread on these hoses is not exactly like garden hoses or like ordinary plumbing fixtures, unfortunately.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:59 PM   #20

Thanks. I have a nice plumbing/electrical supply store that is very helpful to me and my inane questions...