Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2016, 12:24 PM   #1

Default New idea about the bunk in the 189FBR

I have seen a number of different ideas dealing with the bunk area, from removing it completely to cutting it in half and attaching it to the side. Here's one I would like to throw out. First remove the face (the section with the cabinet doors attach. Next put hinges on the base section that connects it to the front. Remove side latches on the front face and attach the to the bottom section so that when you want extra room, the base swings up and is locked in place against the curved front section, and when you want storage or are traveling, the base swings down for a shelf. That way, if you want extra room and don't want to whack your head when you get up in the morning, you can swing it up and lock it in place. As anyone tried this??

twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:25 PM   #2

Great idea. I think you'd still need some kind of 'rail' in the front so that everything on your extended shelf doesn't bounce off during transit.

dogs_rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:47 PM   #3

I don't know if this is one of the ideas you meant,but it has worked very well for us. I removed the front panel completely, and added a second wire shelf about 12" up. I also added shelves across the foot of the bed.

I have them mounted so the weight rests on the iron L brackets, not the existing bunk. Originally, I had a 1x4 screwed across the front of the bunk, (which is what you see in the photo) but that was not enough support, since the frame of the bunk is made of very thin wood, it needs more support. I just reinforced the front with a 2x4 cut so that it goes both above and below the front of the shelf, so it shouldn't ever sag.

I don't know how to make the photos smaller and I need to take a photo it when it's neater LOL Also, there is a second wire shelf on the left side that I added after this photo was taken.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinster2 View Post
First remove the face (the section with the cabinet doors attach. Next put hinges on the base section that connects it to the front. Remove side latches on the front face and attach the to the bottom section so that when you want extra room, the base swings up and is locked in place against the curved front section, and when you want storage or are traveling, the base swings down for a shelf. That way, if you want extra room and don't want to whack your head when you get up in the morning, you can swing it up and lock it in place. As anyone tried this??
Oh duh! I just figured out what you meant. Sheesh, if I don't have a picture, I don't get it. LOL The only issue I see is that the hinges put a lot of stress on the front wall of the camper. There's not much to it, it's styrofoam with a thin *(very thin) veneer of plywood. Maybe you could drive the hinge screws into the studs (not sure where they are in the front) or better yet, put a board across the front wall, then screw the hinges to that.

Liz
Old 10-18-2016, 07:49 AM   #5

Our feeling is, as I've said before. The bunk area is great storage for a number of things...extra blanket, coffeemaker, toaster, camping books, electric heater, etc., etc.
We only have to get in and out of bed at most 2-4 times a day. So a modification would not be something that would benefit. Also, keeping things more original seems to retain more value. The perspective buyer may not like the modifications that we do and there is no going back. The current bunk storage keeps the trailer looking neater because the clutter is out of sight behind the front.
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:24 AM   #6

I was just out at my camper and realize that the front of the bunk is supported by a piece of angle iron that's already securely attached to the front of the trailer if you could attach the hinges through that somehow yyou'd be really good to go

Liz

2008 189FBR & 2014 FORD F150 147 Nights Camping this year
Tons of Free or Inexpensive Mods WackyPup.Blogspot.com
Old 10-20-2016, 08:02 AM   #7

Painty Liz... what type of bracket did you get for your TV? You put yours EXACTLY where I'd want mine but I'm not sure of the tv-wall swing thingy.... (such a techy I am...) Also did you run the cable through the microwave wall and the back of the cupboards? How then did you get it past the bathroom area?
Old 10-20-2016, 09:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs_rule View Post
Painty Liz... what type of bracket did you get for your TV? You put yours EXACTLY where I'd want mine but I'm not sure of the tv-wall swing thingy.... (such a techy I am...) Also did you run the cable through the microwave wall and the back of the cupboards? How then did you get it past the bathroom area?
LOL I have the same 'techy' word problems. Ok, just for you, I put the post up on my blog (click here) - I took lots of photos and I think I came up with a great way to mount the bracket without having to see a giant ugly chunk of plywood to stabilize it.

Here is the mount that I used, (click here) it was only $12 and has good reviews. It looks to be very well made, and I don't expect to have any problems. I really like it a lot more than the one that came with the funfinder, even though that one is more expensive.

We really never watch tv, so I haven't bothered to run the wire yet. We did just buy a hd antenna for the camper, and when it arrives, I will have to figure out how to run the wiring. I will probably just run it up across the tops of the walls. Well, I say that, but probably I will figure out how to run it through the cabinets, since I am a little anal I suppose I could run the antenna wire from where it is in the cabinet, through and out at the end of the cabinet over the bed and along the ceiling, hidden by the curtain rail. I'll let you know how I do it and you can give me more ideas

If you want to go the other way, through the microwave cabinet, that's easy enough, just unscrew the front plates of the m/w and it will slide out and give you complete access to that area. (which I did not figure out until I was done with those little shelves haha it would have been a lot easier to do it with the microwave out.)

I think I am going to just mount a cable connection through the wall by the emergency window, so that if we are at a site with cable, we can hook up easily.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:09 PM   #9

Did you ever hinge up the bunk and how did it work for you?

Liz
Old 10-28-2016, 11:41 PM   #10

Ii haven't done mine but may try to make the storage more useful. I'm still exacerbating myself with the electrical... now have the stove fan down... still trying to track down the 'short' for the bedroom lights and some other electrical 'mysteries'... Called support and since the company was bough out they have no ideas at all.... I now know more than I ever wanted to about volt/amp meters...
Old 10-29-2016, 07:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Ii haven't done mine but may try to make the storage more useful. I'm still exacerbating myself with the electrical... now have the stove fan down... still trying to track down the 'short' for the bedroom lights and some other electrical 'mysteries'... Called support and since the company was bough out they have no ideas at all.... I now know more than I ever wanted to about volt/amp meters...

If you wouldn't mind starting a thread posting all the info you figure out about where the wiring goes and how it works in the camper I would really appreciate it. I keep drilling holes all over the place and can't believe I haven't hit a wire yet LOL of course, there is no guarantee that my wires are in the same place as yours!

Liz

(Leaving tomorrow for a week at Mineral Wells State Park - yay! Maybe try out the new washer, although we won't have full hook-ups lol)
PaintyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:02 AM   #12

Quote:

If you wouldn't mind starting a thread posting all the info you figure out about where the wiring goes and how it works in the camper I would really appreciate it. I keep drilling holes all over the place and can't believe I haven't hit a wire yet LOL of course, there is no guarantee that my wires are in the same place as yours!

Liz

(Leaving tomorrow for a week at Mineral Wells State Park - yay! Maybe try out the new washer, although we won't have full hook-ups lol)

Old 10-29-2016, 08:20 AM   #13

Quote:

Liz

Old 07-16-2018, 10:49 PM   #14

We have completely removed the bunk bed and our plan is to build a big closet, above the window on the side where our feet are. This deep closet will have 2 doors and will be almost as wide as the fridge next to it almost. I plan on using that new space for our clothes and some bedding.