Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-02-2017, 04:03 PM   #1

Default New to camping with 2015 rbs.. few questions

Ok, first time owner so I really don't know a lot about these things. Are the two red and blue plumbing lines coming out from beneath the trailer to drain the water? Does the accessory panel have a button to check lp gas level? Does the water heater automatically fill when you hook up to a water line? Tried cruiser contact but no answer(probably still laughing).
Took it out for 2 nights to Fort wilderness at Disney World and had a blast but didn't realize out of LP. Thank god it wasn't to cold.

Ermd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:01 PM   #2

As far as I know, there is no gauge for the LP -- you can buy gauges that hook directly to the tank. I just do it by weight -- when mine is full, it weighs 36 pounds, and about 17 empty, so I can figure out how much is left.

The water heater does not automatically fill the first time you use it and after it is drained. Here is what you do: fill the big fresh water tank. Without turning on the water heater, open the hot water faucet at the sink. Turn on the pump. Air will sputter out of the faucet. When the water starts to flow without air, the water heater tank is full. Now turn on the water heater.

Remember, you do not have to do this routinely -- only after the water heater tank has been emptied. Do not light the burner when the water heater is empty -- you can damage or destroy the water heater.

Don't know the answer to the red and blue lines.

One more thing -- this RV thing gets a heck of a lot easier with practice. Don't be discouraged. And ask lots of questions -- us old-timers were once newbies!

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:44 PM   #3

Agree with what Profdant 139 said.

I've got a 210UDS. The blue and red pex (plastic) lines below the camper are in fact water line drains. They will let you drain your freshwater tank & water from the cold water lines. They also drain the water from the hot water lines.
Mine have a simple twist lock on them. Just open them and remember to leave the water pump off, open/turn on water faucets to allow air and aid in draining the plumbing.
You will still have to manually drain the water heater, usually by removing the anode rod.
And finally - some people then add RV anti-freeze to their system if they're storing outdoors/or somewhere it gets very cold. There's usually a hot water heater bypass valve that needs to be shut. This keeps anti-freeze out of the water heater. There's also an anti-freeze siphon tube in the same area. It allows you to put the tube/hose in a jug of RV anti-freeze and fill the plumbing lines with RV anti-freeze.
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:51 PM   #4

Another tip: IF you're not sure how much propane is in a tank, you can take a pan of very hot water and slowly pour it down the outside of the propane tank. The hot water will meet the propane level and create a cold "line", the metal of tank will be hot/warm where you poured water, but will be cold at the propane level and lower. Youtube video is available.
And - finally - if you're staying at a campsite with full hookups, if it's forecast to be cold, bring a safe electric heater (one of those oscillating fan types is nice). It's usually quieter than the propane furnace and it's noisy fan. Plus it saves propane for cooking!
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:52 AM   #5
Site Team

How many propane tanks do you have? I would think you should have 2 - 30 lb tanks. I don't worry about how much is in a tank. I turn on one tank and run it til it's empty. Then I switch to the other one and fill the empty one before the next trip. One 30 lb tank lasts a pretty long time. At least for me.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ View Post
How many propane tanks do you have? I would think you should have 2 - 30 lb tanks. I don't worry about how much is in a tank. I turn on one tank and run it til it's empty. Then I switch to the other one and fill the empty one before the next trip. One 30 lb tank lasts a pretty long time. At least for me.
Ours are 20 lb.
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:47 AM   #7

2 tanks, I think 30 lbs. I am taking both to fill and see if they are empty or not. I like the idea of a small electric heater, make sense.
Ermd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermd View Post
2 tanks, I think 30 lbs. I am taking both to fill and see if they are empty or not. I like the idea of a small electric heater, make sense.
Hi Ermd; welcome to the forum...

It sounds like most of your questions were answered... If your tanks are the same size as typically installed on a BBQ (~5 gal.), they are 20 pounders. The 30 lb. tanks are ~7 gal.; the same diameter, just a little taller...

My FF came with two 20 lb. bottles and unless I run the heater and hot water heater all the time, i usually use one or a little more in a season... I started to replace the 20 lb. bottles with 30 lb. bottles last year, but decided that I really don't need to... However, I think I'll toss a spare bottle in the TV this season; I found a great buy on a propane fire-pit and the instructions, if cranked up, it will empty a 20 lb. bottle in a few hours... I'd hate to use up a bottle and then need the heater... or have to take a cold shower... This guy will determine whether I upgrade to 30 lb. bottles and how many...

I follow the practice as Ljaz does... I turn on ONLY one tank (The same tank until it starts to empty); then, I shut it off and switch to the other tank. I will get the empty tank filled when I get home or at the next opportunity, as the case may be. It helps to mark your tanks A and B, 1 and 2, Jack and Jill, or whatever... The point is to remember which tank you are using... Then empty that tank before swapping over...

Where you based at... (Oops, I see Cocoa Beach) Hey, you ought to be able to go camping year round...

Maybe we'll see you along the trail or friendly campfire sometime...

Good luck to you and happy camping...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ View Post
That has also been my approach....run one tank till it's empty then switch to the full one and have the empty filled.
Never had a shortage of propane without any 'conservative' propane useage measures...including running the water heater on propane as never run it on electric. Quicker recovery w/propane.