Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
roy

Default New XT 276 fridge on for first time?

Hauler is brand new, brought it home 5 months ago and have not used it. Getting ready to leave out Friday so I flicked on the fridge on electrical power. It's a dedicated 30 amp service off my shop. It's been on 3 hours and freezer is getting nice and cold bottom not so cold only like 4 degrees cold in those 3 hours. At this rate it may not get cold before we leave. Our old camper did take a while but it seemed it was more even with top to bottom freezer verses bottom. It did not have a totally separate freezer like this new one does. Could that be it these take longer to cool down. Camoer is not 100% level it leans a little to the right driveway is not level. Only about a 1/4" on the floor by my tiny hand held level. Front to rear is level. 1/4" throw it off on cooling? I wouldn't think that was too much.

No ammonia smell or anything like that. Tower behind access panel is nice and hot like it should be. Like I said freezer is getting cold just not freezing yet. I do have the thermostat slide on fins up to cold in the lower section. Am I panicking or should I wait till morning then pannick if it's not cold down in the bottom. Seems like that old dometic in our old coachmen got colder throughout quicker but it was terrible while in route would not stay cold.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:17 AM   #2

roy,

Not sure how long it takes to really cool down the frig and freezer sections individually. Testing mine, I put two refreezable cold packs in the freezer part and a thermometer in the frig part and let it run overnight.

In the AM, the cold packs were froze hard as a rock and the frig was 33 degrees.

I had the temp indicator set near the top so lowered it a little. The indicator is that little white tipped wire that is attached to the cooling fins in the frig part.........but you probably know that.

Hope yours cooled OK for you overnight.

Have a wonderful holiday weekend.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #3
roy

Well I leveled the trailer front to back it was a little high in the front and within an hour later it dropped 20 degrees in the fridge part. This morning it was 30 degrees in fridge so I lowered the slide on the fin a little so I guess it's a working just fine. Premature pannick session. I hope it switches over on gas like it's suppose to in the morning when we roll out.

Not sure if the slight trailer leveling had an effect or it just took time. Either way I'm glad it's working.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #4

Just took time... I always allow at least 24 hours and aim for 36 to get it cool before loading it up.

Rule of thumb; if it is comfortable enough to "live in", it is level enough for the refrigerator. Most installations will quote around 6 degrees of tilt (and that really is a lot) before serious complications can occur.

I routinely set my trailer up 1/2 to 1" high in the front and 1/2 to 1" low on the street side. I do that to keep the A/C condensate running off the back street side corner. Hate having it drip on the curb side any where, particularly on me or the the chair I want to sit in . Never had any issues with any of the refrigerators under those conditions

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote