Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2017, 09:15 PM   #1

Default No TV reception

My FF has the Haier AC/DC 13" tv and the antenna you can raise and lower with a handle in one of the storage compartments. No matter how I turn the antenna, I always get the "TV 2" and "No signal" result when I do the auto program function. The TV is set to 'Air' and the source set to 'TV'. The troubleshooting I have done so far, all with the same results as above:

- ran a coax straight from the antenna to the TV
- disconnected coax from antenna and connected to a cheap HD antenna I got from WM
- combination of the first two, using the new antenna and coax straight from it to the tv

The TV seems to be the only common factor. I figured it was a digital tv, but if it is analogue, that would explain why it doesn't work with the new antenna. Just can't imagine a tv made in the last 10 years isn't digital.

Other than replacing the TV, which doesn't seem plentiful or cheap, and other ideas>

snlsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:20 PM   #2

and where i am at right now should have several channels:

https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

City is Cresson, TX

Old 04-07-2017, 09:22 PM   #3

Is the trailer's signal amplifier turned on? I'm not sure what trailer you have or what year, but mine comes with a signal amplifier that is behind the TV where the coaxial cable comes out of the wall. There is a push button switch with a red diode indicating that it is on. When it is off I get no signal and when it is on I get several stations.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinster2 View Post
Is the trailer's signal amplifier turned on?
Damn, forgot to mention that yes, it is on.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:23 AM   #5

suggestion: move the tv into your house and hook it up to see if it functions. ??
Old 04-08-2017, 03:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
suggestion: move the tv into your house and hook it up to see if it functions. ??
Thanks for the suggestion, would definitely be a good idea to try to isolate the issue and/or verify one part of the system.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:00 PM   #7

If the rabbit ears didn't work, I would think you have a television problem, but hook it up inside and do a SCAN and you will know where your problem is.
dennis smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:03 AM   #8

How old is the TV? I don't think it will work if it's not digital. We had to get rid of ours for that reason - 2008. We just replaced it with a great 24" TV that has built in Roku, amazon, etc, for $125 from Best buy. AC only, but that's fine with us. I mounted it at the foot of the bed. Pictures and info on my blog. http://wackypup.blogspot.com

Liz
Old 04-11-2017, 03:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintyLiz View Post
How old is the TV? I don't think it will work if it's not digital. We had to get rid of ours for that reason - 2008. [/URL]

Liz
The trailer is a 2007 and guessing it is the original TV. I have seen your tv mounting thread/pics and would love to do it, but I don't have the wall space in my trailer for it.

Unfortunately, I got home at 9pm and had to drive from Dallas to Chicago leaving at 8am the following morning so no time to investigate.Thanks for all the ideas, will check them out when I get back home in a few weeks.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by snlsmith View Post
The trailer is a 2007 and guessing it is the original TV. I have seen your tv mounting thread/pics and would love to do it, but I don't have the wall space in my trailer for it.
Wow, I just looked at pics of your camper model, and it has NO wall space. Where is the original mount for the tv? Can you move it over a little and mount a larger tv in that space? I had a hard time finding a small tv. Originally bought a Samsung (I think) which was also a monitor, which is nice, but it only had one hdmi slot and the one we traded it for has 3.

Good luck!

Liz
Old 04-12-2017, 05:02 AM   #11

The local cable company updated their service to a much higher speed and now many TV's are not able to process the speed the signal is delivered .... so when people move there is a multiple image of them .. like a slow motion movement following the actual image.

The specs on new TV's in the digital era have a "refresh rate" of 120 Hz. Older TV's of a few years ago, 10 or less, have a refresh rate of only 60 Hz so the input rate exceeds the processing rate of the 'older' TV's..............as stated by the cable TV service person.

Just FYI
Old 05-14-2017, 08:16 PM   #12

Finally not travelling for work AND having some spare time to get back on this.

I took the tv off the mount and brought it inside the house. After googling the model number, it appeared that it was a digital tv, but something still didn't seem right. Unfortunately, I had nothing in the house with a coax input to test it, so I had to regroup and take a different path.

My daughter brought over a friend's tv that she had in her storage unit so I finally had something to test the other half of the system. I brought in the HD antenna I had and hooked it up to the tv, did a channel search , and it found 50+ stations. I then hauled the tv out to the trailer and hooked it up to the trailer antenna via the normal port and turned on the signal boost (red LED was lit). Did another channel search and this time came up with at least 76 channels, at least 65 of which had a usable signal. Now, there were a lot of Spanish and shopping channels, but the point is that the system worked.

At this point I think I can safely say that the tv is either not fully functional (bad coax input) or just isn't compatible with newer digital signals. For now, going to leave the tv as-is since it isn't financially the best thing to be spending money on right now. May just wait til the off-season and try to find a deal during the black Friday mess. Mine is a 15.6" screen, but I did find a 19" with overall dimensions that will fit.

This is my current tv: https://www.cnet.com/products/haier-hlh15bb/specs/

This is the one I was looking at, or maybe the one without the DVD player which is part number SC-1911: https://www.amazon.com/SuperSonic-Wi...ywords=SC-1912