Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #1

Default Outside 12 volt plug

Has anyone installed a 12 volt plug adapter outside their FF? If so where did they choose its' location? I'm thinking around the dump valves for better visibility at dusk/night by plugging in a light and for reaching the tires with my tire pump. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Your input is always valuable.

2011 FF X-189FDS
2009 Toyota V6 Highlander
lowcountry4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:01 PM   #2

Haven't done it, but, if you do (and one of the reasons I haven't), be very careful of the wiring to it. My compressor wouldn't run off the existing 12v circuits, I'd have to install all new wiring, and a flashlight works fine for me setting up the utilities at dusk or dark. My compressor has really long leads with alligator clips designed for attaching directly to the battery; most 12v compressors get their power that way.

Most 12v air compressors pull a large amount of amperage and the wiring has to be of a large enough guage to carry it. I don't believe the existing 12v wiring and fuses are of a high enough capacity to splice into them (if you were going that route) and you would have to pull all new, proper guage wire and install a suitable fuse to handle your compressor. That's one of the reasons that most 12v air compressors have alligator clips instead of a 12v plug...vehicular lighter sockets aren't rated that high. If you have a 12v compressor that has a cigarette lighter plug on it, I would be suspect of it being adequate to top up a 50psi tire without burning up fairly quickly...

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote