Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-22-2015, 11:34 AM   #1

Default Pictures of Mods I've made

I have posted pictures of many mods I have made to my X189FBS, the album is under Tom's Album, Rocky Mtn Marmot. I will post more mod pics as I have time.

Rocky Mtn marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:09 PM   #2

Tom, that drop shelf is really great -- was it difficult to work with bamboo? Where do you get bamboo lumber?

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 05:18 PM   #3

Thumbs up

Hi Tom,
I can't tell from the pic, but it looks like your side door is just aft of the counter (like my 2008 Xtra XT-190; does the added drop-shelf present much of an issue ... getting in and out, does the shelf need to be dropped?

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:45 AM   #4

Bamboo is easy to work with, similar to working with wood, I used waterproof wood glue since this drop-leaf does get wet. I bought the bamboo flooring, which is just under 4 inches wide, at my local Habit for Humanity Restore store that someone had donated, probably left over from a remodel project. You certainly can use any other material, such as oak flooring or an large oak or bamboo cutting board. I did one edge straight that is against the counter and the other edges have a curve to them and the edges are rounded with a router. After gluing and clamping the flooring pieces together, I added the oak strips underneath for added strength. The trickiest part is getting the folding support correctly located so it folds up flat and down flat.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:51 AM   #5

I sized the drop-Leaf to fit the dish rack well, and it just so happens that I can squeeze by it to get in and out of the door, but my waist is only 32 inches. Others may have to drop it in order to get by. You may want to size it so that you and other occupants can get by without dropping it if quick emergency egress is a factor. For me, I still can get by it quickly if need be, but I usually am a solo traveler/camper.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:47 PM   #6

Hello,
Great mods. I plan to get 3 magnetic door catches. One for our 139X and 2 for the house. I am glad to see that I am not the only one that thinks the doors are mounted backwards. I reversed the cabinet door just inside the entrance because the 139 does not have outside storage and I keep hoses, cords, tools etc. in there. Now I can get to my tools w/o going inside. Works for me. That is what Mods are about. Nice work.
GrandpaX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:30 PM   #7

Just saw the pictures of your mods. Good job. How strong is that magnetic catch on the door? We're in Texas and the wind gets pretty brutal out here sometimes. I'm afraid if I got a magnetic catch the door would slam shut occasionally. Thanks for any help.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:15 AM   #8

It is a pretty darn strong hold. I have used them on every door in my house because on windy days with windows open my doors were slamming shut and now they no longer do that. I am confident that the one on my camper door will hold well. I have not had any really severe winds tho, I camp mostly in the forest. Just keep your old latch just in case. I mostly used the same holes in the door and wall to mount the magnetic catch, only drilling one or two new holes. I sealed the unused holes with white caulking.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:16 AM   #9

Thanks! I might try it