Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #1

Default Possible dryrot in ceiling

My 2006 FF X139 apparently had a leaking problem before I bought it used. During this last rainy season, I had it parked level, which I now found out is a no-no. Rain pooled on the top and the A/C opening was sitting in a pool of water and leaking through the roof to the trailer.

Now it's parked unlevel and tarped, as the RV repair guy recommended. He also suggested turning the furnace up to 90 and heating it up for a few days, which I did. Now that it's sunny, I opened the windows in hopes of airing the trailer out.

Even thought the wood frame seems to dry out when I heat the trailer, it tends to get moist again in a few days, due to the humidity in the air from the rainy weather. And there is persistent mold on the frame around where the A/C vents were installed.

Questions:

1) Is the entire FF roof made of wood? Is this frame simply a square cut out of the ENTIRE roof, so if I wanted to replace the wood, I'd have to replace the ENTIRE roof, which costs more than the trailer is worth? Or is most of the roof made of something else, and there is simply a frame made of wood that is inserted into the ceiling to hold the A/C vent?

2) If (1) is YES, if the roof has mold or dry rot, is it a lost cause? Is there any way to fix it without replacing the ENTIRE roof, or spending thousands? We only paid 9K for the trailer to begin with.

3) If (1) is YES, can we replace that frame around the A/C vent WITHOUT replacing the ENTIRE roof?

4) If (1) is NO, is it easy to replace that frame of wood that is moist and has mold around the A/C vent?

Here are pictures on Picasso:

https://picasaweb.google.com/paulitzlee/Trailer#

Old 07-11-2011, 07:58 PM   #2

How did your roof work out for you? I have an 06 189 fbr. I will be trying to fix mine soon for the same problem. Mine was a bad gasket for the air-conditioning. It caused the roof to sag. I am hoping to do mine from inside and rebuild the square box and replace some cross braces.
Dooley is offline   Reply With Quote