Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-15-2018, 06:16 PM   #1

Default Power converter

My power converter is not charging the batteries, nor is it running. Any ideas out there? I have checked fuses and all appear fine. Batteries hold a charge from outside charger. Need some help. Thanks

rogertrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:49 AM   #2

Make sure the circuit breaker isn’t tripped. If you have the ability and a multimeter remove the circuit breaker panel. If the breaker isn’t tripped you should have ac voltage going into the converter. Meter the output on the dc side for somewhere around 13 or more volts DC. If you have this voltage at the converter output you must have a wiring problem between the circuit breaker panel and the battery. If there is an in-line fuse at the battery check that for continuity.
Do not forget: There are dangerous voltages at the inside of your panel. If you are unsure of yourself have someone with the skills troubleshoot.

lou_bdoll@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM   #3
APD

Yeah what Lou said.
Also follow the DC wiring from the box to the battery as there may also be a disconnect switch hidden somewhere under a cabinet...... no kiddin'.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogertrvn View Post
My power converter is not charging the batteries, nor is it running. Any ideas out there? I have checked fuses and all appear fine. Batteries hold a charge from outside charger. Need some help. Thanks
Is this when you are hooked up to 110v from outside, or when connected to your tow vehicle, or both?

I take it other 12v items are working properly when plugged into 110v?

I test by turning on a bunch of lights then comparing plugged in to not plugged in, and the lights are almost certainly brighter when plugged in, but still work when unplugged. Shows me two things: Juice is in the battery because it runs the lights when NOT plugged in, just not as bright. 2nd, shows me the power converter is working when plugged in, or the lights wouldn't get brighter!

- If your battery seems to charge with one but not the other, it would narrow down the possible causes.

Also, make sure the Battery override off switch is in the ON position if you are trying to charge while towing. I *think* it also needs to be on if you expect charging while hooked up to 110v.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:47 PM   #5

Following this one as I think mine may not be working either. I have checked the fuse at the battery and it is good, but lights don't work if the trailer isn't hooked up to shore power. Figure even with a 4 hour drive the radio station presets should hold, but they always re-set to factory.
snlsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by snlsmith View Post
.......but lights don't work if the trailer isn't hooked up to shore power. Figure even with a 4 hour drive the radio station presets should hold, but they always re-set to factory.
Hmmmmm. Several things could be at play.

If all fuses, switches, breakers are OK, then a VERY dead battery could be the cause. Also, some FF's have a battery shut off that is hidden inside your pass through compartment. If its been pushed, you won't get anything working w/o shore power, not be charging your battery. Or if the battery shut off, wherever it is located is off, ditto.

I think the power converter that trickle charges the battery when hooked up to shore power not working is the least likely cause. Something else here.

To you and the OP, are your batteries charging up ok while towing?
Old 07-17-2018, 06:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverRick View Post
Hmmmmm. Several things could be at play.

If all fuses, switches, breakers are OK, then a VERY dead battery could be the cause.
I'll have to go throw a meter on it to see what it is setting at. IT has been on shore power for the past 10 days.

Quote:
... hidden inside your pass through compartment...
Don't have one of those, so can rule that out, lol.

Quote:
Also, some FF's have a battery shut off that is hidden inside your pass through compartment. If its been pushed, you won't get anything working w/o shore power, not be charging your battery. Or if the battery shut off, wherever it is located is off, ditto.
I will have to track down the circuits. I have no idea where the converter is and if there is a battery cutoff, ditto for that. I only have one storage compartment accessible from the outside, and there is no circuitry, breakers, or cutoffs in there.

Quote:
To you and the OP, are your batteries charging up ok while towing?
I will be hooking up on the 26th, but it is only a 90 minute drive. I can check voltage before and after, and it should be at least a little bit higher. Of course, if my check here shortly shows the battery as about dead (if not dead), then the towing test will be moot as I probably won't replace the battery between now and then.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by snlsmith View Post
I'll have to go throw a meter on it to see what it is setting at. IT has been on shore power for the past 10 days.
Bad battery for my issue. Took the cover off of the battery and read 13.4v on the posts. Took out the fuse and a continuity check showed it as good. Re-checked the battery with the fuse out and it read 9.15v. So it appears that the charging circuit is working but the battery is not charging.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:45 PM   #9

Besides the main shut off switch coming from the battery, the is also a fuse on the positive wire near the battery. Lastly check the terminal wire connectors that hook to the battery. Mine were corroded where they were clamped to the wires. Fixed the problem with a little solder.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:16 PM   #10

Do you have one of these either on a panel with the other switches and buttons, or somewhere else, but it has to be on to charge the battery while towing or on shore power.

And while we're talking about it, my emergency break-away switch does NOT work (no power) while towing unless this switch is on too.

Others here have put it this way: that switch should be out ALL the time, except while parked, unused in your driveway and you want to make sure that nothing is draining the battery while not in use.

When you plug into 110v, all the 12v devices will work even with this switch OFF so its easy to unplug and drive away with it off, then find out the hard way when your emergency brakes don't lock up when the emergency thingy is pulled out in a catastrophic disconnect.

I test my break-away switch twice a year while hooked to my tow vehicle to by yanking out the tab and confirming my trailer brakes have locked up!
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2018, 12:41 PM   #11

Thanks for all the great responses. This is truly a great thread. So far it looks like both my batteries are bad. Am planning on replacing them this afternoon. Converter tested out fine, incoming and outgoing power checked out fine. Will update post after I put new batteries in. Thanks again everyone.
rogertrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:35 AM   #12

Default Power

Check voltage at the top of the small fuses should be 12 volts or 13 volts there is a larger red and black wire if your not getting any readings converter is not charging.

rockport96 is offline   Reply With Quote