Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2010, 09:53 AM   #1

Default Propane alarm keeps breaking

I bought my FF X-139 in April 2009.

When the propane alarm kept going off whenever I connected the trailer to house power, I disconnected it and couldn't get it to work again.

So I bought a NEW one, in May 2009. Same model as the old one.

Safe-T-Alert SURFACE Mt 12V Propane Alarm -WHITE

It cost $50.

In September 2009, my trailer battery was dying, and the new alarm kept squealing, so I disconnected it on a camping trip by separating the wires. The wires in back of the alarm were twisted together with wires from the trailer.

Now, after replacing my trailer battery and re-connecting the alarm, it doesn't work. The NEW alarm.

Does disconnecting the alarm for six months screw them up?

The trailer battery is good. I have lights without house power.

I have tried the wires (back of alarm, coming from trailer) with both combinations, although I think it's green and black together, and red and white together. But neither combination works.

Do I just buy my THIRD alarm in one year? I like that model since it fits in the same slot, under the stove to the left, between the stove and the bathroom. I need no new holes. Other alarms are thicker and don't fit in that groove as well.

Also, can I get an alarm that uses disposable batteries, like a smoke alarm? So I don't have to worry about it draining my RV battery, or disconnecting it every year? Although I did see in this forum I can take the fuse out.

Any ideas...?