Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-30-2018, 01:46 PM   #1

Default Propane smell

2014 FunFinder 189fbs with slight smell of propane near stove burners when burners are off. Is this normal?
Possible loose fittings to burners? Has anyone had similar 'propane smells' experience and was it bad enough
to tear stove and cabinents apart to try and find the source.
Thanks for help.

mthiker33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:53 PM   #2

Sounds like loose connection somewhere. I’d check outside first though. I found in my fridge panel someone had used the wrong kind of caulking to try and seal the hole in the wall (which should have had a gasket anyway) so that leaks don’t come back in the trailer and it all melted. I fixed it with a rubber gasket covered in heat resistant caulking. Check the HWT as well from outside to see if there’s a leak.

Does it stay smelly or just when you start it up? I have a gas stove at home (and the propane one in the trailer) and the gas has to ‘flow’ before it is lit. So there’s always a smell at first when u turn it on. If you are smelling it before you’ve touched anything on the stove that’s not good. You can reach under the stove from the sink cupboard in mine. I’d do the soap test on all the joints to see if any are leaking. Just like you do with a bbq.

dogs_rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:28 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. I hope it is just a loose connection.
mthiker33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:26 PM   #4

If i remember correct, the furnace is also in that area. Could be something else to check
Old 10-07-2018, 10:04 PM   #5

We had the same issue with our 2008 210WBS while on the road about five years ago. We stopped by an RV shop and they used a "sniffer" to find the source. The propane regulator in the stove was leaking a bit of gas through the vent. Replaced the regular and solved the problem. It has been fine since.
RonCronk is offline   Reply With Quote