Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2016, 10:45 AM   #1

Thumbs up Propane Tank Guage

So I got tired of taking my Costco tank to get filled when it said empty and finding there was still 1-2 gal left in there. So I bought a weight type gauge off Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Grill-Gauge-G...ane+tank+gauge

So simple. and Cheap! Seems to work really well too. $9 HH

Haole Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:25 PM   #2

You have to remove tank for that one.
I have this one just a glance don't have to remove tank cheap enough.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HFSDOL6?psc=1

2017 Keystone Summerland 1750RD
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:12 PM   #3

Default propane guage

I have tried 3 different ones of those "pressure type" gauges and they all seem to have been inaccurate so I've been asking the "Propane Filler Upper Guys" and everyone I've asked says weighing is the only accurate way. I actually don't disconnect the tank, just lift it out of it's hole while still attached to the hose and sort of achieve "neutral buoyancy" then read the Gauge. HH
Haole Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:54 PM   #4

I have two tanks. When the stove won't work then I know the one tank is empty so switch to the other one and fill the empty one!!

Simple!

:-O
Old 10-17-2016, 09:43 PM   #5

Eagle, that works as long as you are in the RV when it runs out. Otherwise, your fridge stops working while you are gone, the food spoils, etc.

I have a fishing scale, just a spring with a gauge. I use it to weight the tanks every week or so while traveling -- it does an adequate job of letting me know when we have to refill.

I tried one of those pressure gauges -- it gave me wildly varying readings, depending on pressure and temperature.

I also had one of those strips that you paste on the side of the tank and douse with boiling water -- it changes color to indicate the level of the fuel. Eventually, it fell off.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
Eagle, that works as long as you are in the RV when it runs out. Otherwise, your fridge stops working while you are gone, the food spoils, etc.

I have a fishing scale, just a spring with a gauge. I use it to weight the tanks every week or so while traveling -- it does an adequate job of letting me know when we have to refill.

I tried one of those pressure gauges -- it gave me wildly varying readings, depending on pressure and temperature.

I also had one of those strips that you paste on the side of the tank and douse with boiling water -- it changes color to indicate the level of the fuel. Eventually, it fell off.

My frig is on gas when traveling and electric when camping. Maybe if dry camping w/o a generator it could be an issue if one is away from the camper for an extended period of time so understand your point.

I've never checked to see how long the camper frig will stay cold when off. Home frigs will stay cold for at least 8 hours if the door isn't opened.

I use one of those pressure gauges on my home gas grill which has been fairly accurate & allows me to check before firing up the grill. Those strips on the side of the propane tank are junk IMO.

Using a scale is the most accurate method and is used by the propane firms that fill tanks.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:33 AM   #7
Site Team

I'm with you Eagle. I just wait til one tank runs out then I know it's time to fill.
The fridge will stay cold for a very long time especially if it's full - and of course as long as you don't open the door.
There are also regulators available that automatically switch tanks when one runs out. I haven't used one but I might try one when if my current one ever goes bad.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:29 AM   #8

Agree about the fridge remains cold. We stopped having ours on while traveling and it stays very cold for hours.
If you are concerned you can always put some of those ice packs in, but we don't.
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:37 AM   #9

That's useful information about how long the fridge stays cold – I didn't know that!!
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ View Post
I'm with you Eagle. I just wait til one tank runs out then I know it's time to fill.
The fridge will stay cold for a very long time especially if it's full - and of course as long as you don't open the door.
There are also regulators available that automatically switch tanks when one runs out. I haven't used one but I might try one when if my current one ever goes bad.
Yes, the fridge stays cold for quite a while. We have a 2008 model and our tanks came with an automatic switch over, which we never use LOL we just wait for one tank to run out. Actually I think we started using it on our last trip. Do you know if it just balances the tanks or does it run one empty and then switch over? I'm hoping it's the latter. I suppose I could Google it lol

Liz

2008 189FBR & 2014 FORD F150 148 Nights Camping this year
Tons of Free or Inexpensive Mods WackyPup.Blogspot.com
PaintyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:36 PM   #11

PaintyLiz ~ this style drains one tank then switches to the 2nd tank.
https://www.amazon.com/Cavagna-890-0...pane+regulator

My unit came with a manual change over with a gauge so can tell how much is in the tank. When one tank goes empty, switch manually to the other and have the first tank filled.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
That's useful information about how long the fridge stays cold – I didn't know that!!
The length of time the frig will stay cold without running will depend on the temperature inside the camper.

The hotter it is inside the camper, the shorter time the frig will stay cold.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:55 AM   #13
Site Team

The auto change regulators run one tank empty and then switch to the other. They have an indicator to tell you when that happens. Of course you have to remember to check the indicator otherwise you won't know.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote