Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2015, 09:25 PM   #1

Default Really Bad Install On Front Window 2008 189FBR Any recourse?

Hi All,

I hesitate to complain about my fun finder because I absolutely love it! I have found the majority of the features to be well designed and well built. However, during recent trip we found the front window leaked horribly. This has never come to our attention before because we store it under roof, and we live in Texas where it hardly ever rains and so had never been camping in a rainstorm before.

When I removed the front window, I found that it had been installed extremely poorly. the top flange overlapped the camper shell by only about an eighth of an inch and the caulking had slipped out of alignment in some places as well.

Many of the screws were rusted and snapped off.

Do you think I have any recourse? We've owned it since it was new, but as I said we weren't aware there was a problem until now. I have repaired the window, shimmed it so that it was centered in the hole and I used mastic so hopefully this won't ever occur again.

By the way, I remodeled the entire inside and came up with a huge amount of extra space. I designed some neat tables and roll away shelves. I'm slowly documenting it on my blog so if you're interested here's the link http://WackyPup.blogspot.com

PaintyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:28 AM   #2
Site Team

I seriously doubt it, unfortunately. Your FF is a 2008, so it is long out of warranty. And as long as it's fixed properly now and it didn't get any water damage it's probably not worth the hassle of trying anyway.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:41 AM   #3

The good news is that redoing the window is not too difficult, with two people. You unscrew it carefully, remove it, and use butyl tape to seal. Then reinstall. The tightening of the screws compresses the butyl.

From your description, it seems that you might not have enough flange around the edge of the window. That is harder to fix. I wonder whether Eternabond tape around the outside of the window, following re-installation, would do the trick.

Good luck!
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:00 AM   #4

Thanks for posting, I have a 2008 FBR also. In SoCal we don't get much rain either so I haven't seen any leakage, but I 'm going to go out and check mine as well. We've been pretty happy with ours, but I have noticed a lot of things that could have been done better. For the most part I just clean up or fix the things myself and I would still buy another Funfinder.

2008 189FBR
2007 FJ cruiser
Equalizer Hitch
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake controller
Yamaha EF2400is generator
chupp21 is offline   Reply With Quote