Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2017, 04:13 PM   #1

Default Rear Backup/Observation Camera Make/Installation

I could not find any information about peoples experience with backup/observation cameras on the back of travel trailers. I initially decided not to have one on the back of my trailer but after talking with a number of people I think being able to see behind you definitely has a lot of merit.

I have been looking at cameras and it seems that the most commonly mentioned cameras are Taddybrothers, Voyager and Furrion. There seems to be people that favor one over the other but no clear winner.

Would like to hear from people that have these wireless cameras for any recommendations. It looks like an easy installation on the back of the trailer with hook ups to the running lights but before I start punching holes in the back of the trailer please tell me whether this is a job that is better done by professionals.

2017 FunFinder 21rb

Beachnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:10 PM   #2

I discussed this in the link below:

http://www.funfinderclub.com/forums/...ving-2753.html

twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:20 AM   #3

This is what I have--it's not hard wired; it's magnetic and removable (I put a piece of soft cloth between the magnet and my truck when in use):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-21-2017, 08:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFX160_CT View Post
This is what I have--it's not hard wired; it's magnetic and removable (I put a piece of soft cloth between the magnet and my truck when in use):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Can you put it on the back of the trailer to see while you're having the trailer up?

Liz
Old 03-22-2017, 04:05 AM   #5

Hi, certainly you'll need something metal to attach the camera to if attaching to your trailer. As far as hooking up my trailer to my truck, I simply stuck it on my truck just above the hitch for a bird's eye view of the hitch ball. (My newer truck has a built in camera, so I don't actually use the portable camera anymore for hooking up.)
Old 03-22-2017, 04:22 AM   #6

Hmmm, I thought I posted a reply, but it disappeared. As long as you have some metal to attach it to, you can attach it to the trailer. As far as hooking up my trailer to my truck, I simply attach the camera to the truck, just above the hitch ball to get a bird's eye view. (My new truck has a built in backup camera, so I don't actually use the camera anymore for hooking up.)
Old 03-22-2017, 08:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Hi, certainly you'll need something metal to attach the camera to if attaching to your trailer. As far as hooking up my trailer to my truck, I simply stuck it on my truck just above the hitch for a bird's eye view of the hitch ball. (My newer truck has a built in camera, so I don't actually use the portable camera anymore for hooking up.)
I need to really watch that voice to text thing, it never gets it right and I always miss at least one important word lol. I meant does it have the range to work from the back of the camper to the cab of the truck so that we could use it as we backup the camper?

Thanks,

Liz
Old 03-22-2017, 10:27 AM   #8

Oh, mine didn't have any voice capabilities, sorry.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Oh, mine didn't have any voice capabilities, sorry.
Lol i am talking about using voice to text with my tablet posting here. I'm not talking about the back up camera.

Let's see if I can clear up the confusion. I was asking if the camera had sufficient range to work from the back end of the camper to the cab of the truck.

Thanks
Liz
Old 03-27-2017, 12:58 PM   #10
N&K

Send a message via AIM to N&K

Beachnuts,

I just bought a rear view camera. I looked around at different brands and ended up buying a Rear View Safety Systems (RVS) set up. It is a wired system that includes infrared lighting, a microphone and a quick connect between the truck and the trailer. I bought this brand for a couple of reasons. 1) they are solidly built with heavy duty wires and 2) I was able to get a good deal through Costco.

I went for the wired system because I have tried and not been satisfied with using a blue tooth connection between two phones while backing the trailer. The phone connection was not consistent enough. We would lose connection while backing up the trailer, not a good time to reestablish the connection while you are backing the truck and trailer and are blocking a road. The cameras sold may have better connections than our phones, but it is not evident from comments I saw on the seller sites.

My challenge now is to install the system. I am debating in my head whether I should install the camera on the back of the trailer low or high. I can easily install it on the rear bumper of the trailer with an easy wire lay. or figure how to unobtrusively get the wires to the top of the trailer and install it above the running lights.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:49 PM   #11
APD

My vote would be for a bumper install first. That way you can decide how well you like it and, if necessary, take on the challenge of a higher mounting point in the future.
Would it be something someone might try to steal/take away if it was on the bumper?
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:58 PM   #12
N&K

APD, Thanks. You are right that the access to the camera would be pretty easy down low.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:05 PM   #13

Appears to be a very nice system and hard wired is good. I've read of interference or loss of signal on wireless systems. Also, must be a good company as they offer a military discount for active/veterans.

IMO ~ I mount it near the roof of the camper, high as possible for security of the camera and a clear view. A bumper mount would cloud the lens with road dust, and loss of vision in rain from the swirling spray.

Just my thoughts.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
IMO ~ I mount it near the roof of the camper, high as possible for security of the camera and a clear view. A bumper mount would cloud the lens with road dust, and loss of vision in rain from the swirling spray.
I absolutely agree that mounting it high is the best place for it. Mine is mounted below the middle running light.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:10 PM   #15
N&K

Thanks, Eagle I appreciate the thoughts. Once the rain in the PNW slows down I am going under the trailer to find a good route for the wiring and a solid place to mount the camera.

Twinster, what did you use to attach the camera to the back wall?
Old 03-28-2017, 10:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by N&K View Post
Twinster, what did you use to attach the camera to the back wall?
I used caulking as the adhesive. I believe it was butyl caulk, but just about any caulking will work as long as you hold the camera in place until the caulking sets. There were no holes drill into the back of the trailer. I used the middle running light to powering the camera. Note that mine is wireless, so power was the only wiring I need.

Tags
camera, wireless