Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2009, 08:59 PM   #1

Default Rear bike rack

I have a 2008 189FBR and would like to add a rear bike rack to it to hold a couple of bikes. On my old X160, I just welded a piece of 2"ID square tubing (to use as a receiver for a hitch mounted bike rack) to the rear frame members and was done. However, the 189FBR I just got has the holding tanks in the rear frame area and there is no place to easily weld in a "hitch" to mount up the bike rack. Any suggestions about what might work?

Thanks,
Steve

tymber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:28 PM   #2

I would like to add a bike rack to my FF189FDS, but I'm having the same problem. An extensive search of the web has failed to turn up a solution other than hanging a rack onto the spare tire which doesn't thrill me. I may give up on the idea and try to adapt a car trunk rack to my pickup. Let me know if you come up with something.

Patient and understanding wife
dlhilliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:23 AM   #3

Folks... A quick search resulted in multiple posts with ideas.

http://www.funfinderclub.com/phpBB2/...ight=bike+rack

Many people do this, and apparantly it was an option from the factory.

IMO, hanging bikes off the back is a very bad idea (i've seen too many bikes still attached to the racks laying on the side of the road.

There is a company that builds a rack that goes above the propane tanks on the front. This makes more sense to me as you can see if there's a problem with the bikes, and the back of a trailer bounces a ton. Hitch not so much.

I'm looking at getting a roof rack for my TV, because I need to carry two bikes and a two kid chariot.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:23 PM   #4

Default bike rack

I am having the same concerns mounting a bike rack on a Cikira 18CCB. In my research I have found a dual hitch available from Northern Tool. The 4000-lb. capacity dual hitch extension comes with two 2in. receivers, lower tube with collar for towing and upper tube for accessories.
This system will mean that tongue weight is not decreased.

I have seen another system made by an outfit in Quebec Canada. It consisted of a adjustable frame that mounts to the front trailer frame (forks) and rises over the propane tanks. The bike rack is mounted into a 2" receiver over the tanks.This system would increase the tongue weight. Unfortunatley I cannot find the system on the internet, I saw it in an RV dealership.

Good luck
Graham
gbonesteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:36 PM   #5

Default Re: Rear bike rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymber
I have a 2008 189FBR and would like to add a rear bike rack to it to hold a couple of bikes. On my old X160, I just welded a piece of 2"ID square tubing (to use as a receiver for a hitch mounted bike rack) to the rear frame members and was done. However, the 189FBR I just got has the holding tanks in the rear frame area and there is no place to easily weld in a "hitch" to mount up the bike rack. Any suggestions about what might work?

Thanks,
Steve
weld outside of the I beam, you have to do some cutting to the sheetmetal to get to the I beam.