Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2018, 01:06 PM   #1

Default Rear Light Wiring Colors

Hello Everyone:

I am replacing the rear brake/turn signal lights on our T-139 with LED units. I find white, green, and red wires on the street side, and white, green, and brown wires on the curb side. Can anyone give me a head start on which is which? My presumption at this point is that white is hot, green is ground, and the brown and red wires are turn signals.

Much thanks.

Wouldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:01 PM   #2
N&K

Send a message via AIM to N&K

Are looking at the color of the trailer wires or the color of wires coming with a new light fixture? I ask this because my lights (original) are wired with a white, green and black wire to each of the rear lights. The running light power and turn signal power are combined into the white wire. The brake light power is the green wire. The black goes to ground.

Your trailer might be wired differently than mine. The presumption you make makes sense, but I would hook the trailer to the TV and use a voltmeter to test your theory. Check for voltage between the white and green with the running lights turned on. If you get no voltage reading there must be another wire being used as a ground. If you get voltage then your are right.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:15 PM   #3

Thank you. I am referring to the wires from the trailer. The new fixtures have red, black, and brown wires each. Your comments are valuable and provide the lead I needed to start the process (I now have an idea of what the white and green wires might provide). I plan on connecting the TV and running diagnostics before attaching and sealing, but now I have an initial connection plan. Thanks again.
Wouldie is offline   Reply With Quote