Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-18-2010, 06:25 PM   #1

Default Rear storage deck on Fun Finder 189FBR

It's 42 Degree's out side and I'm planning upgrades! Any one put a rear deck / platform on the back of their 189FBR Fun Finder? I know we don't have a bumper - I have already put real 4 sizzor jacks an got rid of the elcheapo's it came with - now I want to carry my 1981 Honda C70 Passport on the back and move the spare tire to the tongue. Anyone else done this - and do you have pictures?

rewindgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:32 AM   #2

Spam above notwithstanding...

I'd love to do something like you're talking about, for my generator, as well as a pair of bicycles. I'd love to see pics as well.

guybmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:54 AM   #3

Default rear storage

Sorry guys, the factory says uh uh on installing anything on the rear of a bumperless FF. I took mine to two welders in the hope of installing a bike rack. Firstly they said the job would be difficult as there is nothing to tie into. Then when they quoted an estimate, I ran out of the place.

Contact FF. They say nothing should be installed on rear. Especially something as heavy as a scooter.
flugelboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #4

Default Rear deck

Never say never! I have a carrier from Lowe's that has been modified to accept the 200 lb scooter. I have a 2" tube welded to a large piece of angle iron that is attached to the back side of the frame and since winter came early - I still need to put the front bracing on to the frame rails and supports. Since I am not paying for any materials or welding we will see how this adventure works out? I am loosing the spare tire from the back ( it weighs way more than I thought!) and will be adding some weight to the front end tongue area to even out the additional rear load. Spring time we will see how this works.
rewindgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #5

Default rear carrier

howdy calgarian,

wish you luck in your project. view your outcome with great trepidation. both my independent welders looked under my 2009 189fbs and said it would be insanity to put even a bike rack on the back. these puppies were built with maximum litewieght in mind. they did not intend a bunch of attachments. best of luck.
flugelboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:52 AM   #6

Default Re: Rear deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewindgy
Never say never! I have a carrier from Lowe's that has been modified to accept the 200 lb scooter. I have a 2" tube welded to a large piece of angle iron that is attached to the back side of the frame and since winter came early - I still need to put the front bracing on to the frame rails and supports. Since I am not paying for any materials or welding we will see how this adventure works out? I am loosing the spare tire from the back ( it weighs way more than I thought!) and will be adding some weight to the front end tongue area to even out the additional rear load. Spring time we will see how this works.
Photos?
guybmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:23 PM   #7
TCP

Default more

Another Calgarian chiming in. Something in the water, perhaps.

I bought a curt rv hitch:

http://www.curthitchdepot.com/traile...itches-p-16602

and plan on attaching it to the back of our new 2010 FDS. The frame rails on the trailer are 6" tall I-beams and run right to the back of the cross plate where the jacks attach. I have modified the mounts on the hitch to slide inside the i-beams and then bolt up. There are already mounts there for the "factory" hitch that you can buy from FF. ($270Cdn + shipping from funfinder, when I inquired). I plan to bypass the mounts and bolt directly to the I-beams. Simply cutting a slot in the rear cross plate will allow direct access to the main frame I-beams.

Just to re-iterate, the frame is made to accept the receiver hitch from FF for their Bike Rack option. It is not too weak.

TCP is offline   Reply With Quote