Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2017, 03:02 PM   #1

Default Rear view camera?

I'm down sizing from Class A. I like the rear camera. How would be the easy way to run wiring from upper center rear to hitch area? Signal will be wire less to cab.

Buffalobilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:41 AM   #2
N&K

Send a message via AIM to N&K

Is your camera a wired camera with a transmitter at the hitch area, or does the wiring at the camera just need to attach to the trailer electrical power?

Old 11-18-2017, 05:38 PM   #3

I intend to run rtpun the wiring to a transmitter in the hitch area. I talked to a teck at the factory. I should be able to snake the wiring in the same channel the clearance light wiring uses.
Buffalobilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:17 PM   #4

I used a completely wireless backup camera See thread below:

http://www.funfinderclub.com/forums/...ving-2753.html
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:07 PM   #5
N&K

I ran my camera wire down the right side of the trailer between the frame and the outside wall. The wire sits on top of the supports that hold the bottom edge of the trailer wall and below the layer of insulation on the floor of the trailer. It also goes on top of the metal protector in the wheel wells. At the back of the trailer I drilled a hole in the floor and ran the wire inside the wardrobe cabinets in the back of my trailer up to the channel under the roof where the wires in the back of the trailer run. I had to remove the vent trim in my bathroom to get to both the wire channel and to drill a hole in the back wall to install the camera. The camera sits above the middle running light on the outside of the back wall. Doing the installation this way allowed me to attached the camera to the wall frame with screws. It is pretty solid.

The biggest issue was that the channel also has a spot where a wall frame member is in the space of the channel creating a tight spot. I taped the camera wire to one of the existing running light wires and pulled them both through the tight spot. After some back and forth wire pulls I got everything in its proper place.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:00 PM   #6

On my 2012 FF X189FBS (it would help if you listed your trailer model and year in your signature) I placed the camera at the roof edge in the rear, used the power from the vent fan and ran the wire down the passenger side of the trailer rear edge under the white trim tape and into the stop light fixture, through the wall and then along the floor under the door threshold, behind cabinets and into the front baggage compartment. There I affixed the wireless sending unit to the inside of the forward facing trailer wall. The idea was to get the transmitter as close to the wireless receiver as possible up at the TV dash. It worked.
I sold that trailer and bought a new one and this time used a camera with a stronger signal and transmitting antenna. Therefore no wires to front of trailer. It works also but has one humorous but not that bothersome of a quirk...when I am following someone else with a wireless camera (like at a stop signal) their signal overrides mine and I see the front of my own vehicle in my rear-view display.
2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
jbfunfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:13 AM   #7

I had a brainstorm the other day. I have an old iPhone with no cell service but it does wifi. I'm logged into my iTunes account on it and can do facetime (video) calls between my old phone and my new iPhone. I glued a couple of magnets to the old phone's holster and attached it to my tailgate. Turned on the new phones wifi hotspot. Presto! Backup camera. Not great for everyday use but great for hitching up the trailer!

I imagine there is an android equivalent.
Beachseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:39 AM   #8
N&K

That's an interesting brainstorm. Prior to having my back up camera, we tried to use bluetooth to wireless ear buds to communicate from the truck to the rear of the trailer. This had connection issues so I went to the bu camera. I hadn't thought of using a wifi hotspot. Using an old phone or my wifi tablet as a bu camera might work well. I wonder if the hd camera or the selfie camera would work the best?

BTW android devices should work about the same for this as your iphone. Maybe it wouldn't make a difference.