Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2013, 11:28 PM   #1

Default Refrigerator question for long time TT owners

My dealer tells me that the refrigerator needs to remain level at all times, whether in use or not. My concern with this is when not in use I like to park my TT high in the front so that rain water doesn't collect on the roof around the A/C. My question is for those long time TT owners with a refrigerator. How important is it that the refrigerator be level when not in use? I fully understand that it needs to be level when in use, but don't see the necessity when not in use. How do you guys normally park your TTs? Thanks for any input.

Jeff B.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
Site Team

The reason for keeping the fridge level is so that the liquid ammonia continues to flow freely via gravity and doesn't accumulate anywhere in the tubing while in operation. It also doesn't need to be exactly level, as long as it's close to level there shouldn't be any problem. So, unless you park it at an extreme angle you could leave the fridgerunning & it's probably OK.

When the fridge is off it really doesn't matter, just level it out before you start it up. If you have it at a pretty steep angle then it could take some time for the liquid ammonia to drain properly. So it could take longer to cool off when when you restart it. That might be why the dealer is telling you to keep it level when its off.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #3

Default Good idea about not leveling the trailer when parked

Jeff --

Since I live in Southern Calif, I never thought about the water pooling on the roof -- it hardly ever rains. But once in a while, it does. Based on your suggestion, I am going to "unlevel" my trailer when it is in the driveway!

And I agree that when the fridge is off, leveling is not important.

Dan
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #4

Default Thanks for the input

Thanks LJAZ, that's pretty much what I figured.

Dan,

I don't have much of a dip around the A/C but just enough to collect some water. I have noticed that after a camping trip where I have used the A/C that when I unlevel the trailer to put it on the truck that some water runs off the rear of the trailer. So I figured it's a good idea to allow rain water to run off the trailer to help prevent leaks from the standing water. I will continue doing what I have been doing then.

Jeff B.