Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2016, 04:14 PM   #1

Default Removing jack knife couch

My wife and I own a 2010 View Finder V21FB. We love it except for the very uncomfortable jack knife couch. Can I remove the couch and take it to an upholstry shop or possibly replace it with a couple of recliners. My slideout does not go all the way to the floor. I am at work and don't have access to the trailer until late next week.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

tooltruckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:50 PM   #2

I don't have any experience with doing that but with a Google search it looks to be a popular mod. Here is one article I found that may be helpful to you.
RV Jack Knife Sofa Replacement | ModMyRV

It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:26 PM   #3

Thanks for the link. I'm still learning all this computer stuff. Getting old sucks, but it does beat the alternative!
Old 01-21-2016, 06:22 PM   #4

Amen to that!��⛺️
Old 01-24-2016, 12:07 PM   #5

I don't think its that easy. You have the wheels under the sofa, the slide hardware, a bunch of wires. I would love to take mine out , but the slide doesn't go to the floor either. Go slow and make sure you can put it back. I think taking it to the shop and have them redue it there would be best. Let us know what you do
dennis smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:21 PM   #6

The link I posted above says this. Since You said you are computer challenged. "Have you heard of the saying: “Measure twice, cut once”? Well, we’re not cutting anything here but you need to ensure that you measure the width, depth, and height of the area you want to mount the new sofa. RV furniture is supposed to be standardized as far as sizes are concerned but you should be sure of the dimensions, otherwise your replacement sofa may not fit properly. And you may not be able to return the sofa. It might look good in your stick house living room though.

A jackknife sofa can be removed quite easily, and in most cases, it’s just a matter of removing a few bolts or screws. For those sofa’s that have drawers under them, the sofa will sit on top of some wood support framing rather than being bolted directly to the floor through the sofa frame. In this case, removing the sofa is done in three steps. First, remove the drawers, unscrew the sofa frame from the sofa support/drawer frame, then remove the drawer framing. The entire assembly is usually fastened together by wood screws so disassembly is easily done with a power screw drill.

Once you have completely removed all framing and the sofa, inspect the empty area for any electrical wiring or plumbing. Ensure that the new couch’s frame will not interfere with any components if in fact there are any. If so, reroute or relocate any components if required. If you have exposed wiring, use hold-down clamps to secure the wiring to the floor or wall so there is no chance the wiring can become entangled in the sofa mechanism.

Mounting the replacement sofa (or recliner or sleeper) is done fairly easily. Securing can be done by either bolting or screwing the frame of the sofa to the floor. If you want to go the bolting route, be sure to check clearances before drilling through the flooring, especially with a slide-out. You want to be sure the bolts don’t interfere with the slide mechanism and don’t protrude enough to cause a clearance problem with the slide floor and the main floor when closing the slide-out.

Finally, before mounting, and if you are replacing your sofa with recliners, test fit the new sofa before doing any kind of drilling. You will need at least 3 to 4 inches of clearance at the back of the sofa to ensure that when reclining the sofa, it doesn’t hit the wall. Do a test recline before proceeding but don’t fall asleep. You still need to drill, mount, and then relax!

TipBefore ripping out your current sofa, measure the entry door width and the depth of your new sofa. Chances are your current sofa will be able to fit through the door but the new one might not, and may have to be disassembled to get it in to your RV."
Old 01-25-2016, 06:27 AM   #7

Thanks for inputs. When I get home I'll look at
trailer more closely and make a decision. We may
Just upgrade to a new bigger trailer.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltruckguy View Post
Thanks for inputs. When I get home I'll look at
trailer more closely and make a decision. We may
Just upgrade to a new bigger trailer.
You may want to think and research carefully before buying a new trailer. No guarantee of not having problems and depreciation as you pull it off the lot. There are many people suggesting you buy used on YouTube. Click on this link for an attorney's view.

http://youtu.be/IP_u2JR51_Y
Old 01-25-2016, 12:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
You may want to think and research carefully before buying a new trailer. No guarantee of not having problems and depreciation as you pull it off the lot. There are many people suggesting you buy used on YouTube. Click on this link for an attorney's view.

http://youtu.be/IP_u2JR51_Y

Clearly the guy is anti-RV nutz!

I know people that have paid huge amounts for new homes that had plumbing failures, roof leaks, doors that don't latch, poor insulation, bad floors, furnaces/air conditioners that fail, etc. etc. etc.

ANYTHING man made can fail most any time. It's life!

The only produced product that 99.9% of the time functions exactly as designed with out fail ~ and gets wrongly blamed ~ is a firearm. People kill people, not a hammer, club, rock or gun until someone uses it to do so.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:05 PM   #10

You cannot compare any RV to a home. The home will have value long after the RV is in a scrap yard. Some rv's hold their value fairly well but that would be the exception. In a home you most likely build equity. An RV depreciates. Yes you can move an RV around from place to place but that is one of the few real benefits of it. It depreciates like any vehicle does. Have you tried to get a dealer to honor a warranty?

"
The only produced product that 99.9% of the time functions exactly as designed with out fail ~ and gets wrongly blamed ~ is a firearm. People kill people, not a hammer, club, rock or gun until someone uses it to do so."

What does that have to do with this subject???
Old 01-25-2016, 05:56 PM   #11

Hi Michigan Traveler;
With all due respect, a site built home has components as an RV/camper: plumbing system, sewage system, electrical system, heating system, appliances, air conditioning system, walls, roof, windows, doors, etc. I've seen many a site built home fall into total disrepair due to lack of maintenance and many demolished when uninhabitable...same as an RV/camper.

And of all the man made items I've ever owned over the many decades of my life, a firearm has required the least amount of maintenance, either professionally or sporting, and still functioned as designed.

Thank you for allowing me to detail this subject. That said, perhaps we will agree to simply disagree.

Happy camping!