Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-28-2018, 03:30 PM   #1

Default Roof Problem

Does anyone have advice on replacing a roof. The roof on my 214WSD has peeled back from the front seam. To say the least I am disappointed. The trailer is only three years old. Research shows everything from replacing with EDPM or having it coated by a liquid process. Both are expensive. Due to my age I am not able to do the work myself. Any suggestions on quality, lifespan, persona experience, etc. would be appreciated.

2015 FunFinder F214WSD
2008 F150 with Triton.
ChasWray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:47 PM   #2

Since you said it was only 3 years old, it is probably a TPO roof. Mine is TPO and was built in 2010. Anyway, it is too bad that it peeled back. Is there any way it could be replaced under warranty?

twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:53 PM   #3

I am going to try but my chances are very small.

2015 FunFinder F214WSD
2008 F150 with Triton.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:23 AM   #4
N&K

Send a message via AIM to N&K

Charles,

Is the roofing material actually peeling back or is the caulking cracking and separating from the area where the roof meets the front cap? It is important that you differentiate between these two issues before you decide to replace the roof. If you can get a close look at the problem area you should be able to see how deep the problem is. If you can't get a close look I would suggest getting a dealer or qualified repair person to look.

My personal experience with a trailer the same age as yours is that the caulking was the issue. I can see how a poorly installed roof could come undone, but the roofing material is supposed to be wrapped around the roof sheathing and stapled in place. The caulking on the other hand is put in place to seal the seam between the roof and the front cap and can with changes in temperatures and other environmental conditions crack and peel back. This caulking may need to be replaced periodically, a much easier and cheaper job to do than replacing the roof.

Norm
Old 07-29-2018, 02:52 PM   #5

The actual roof material has peeled back about 3 feet from the front. I am scheduled to have a repair company look at it this week. I am just asking because the money is coming out of my pocket and I do not want to make a mistake.
Thanks for your advice
Charles

2015 FunFinder F214WSD
2008 F150 with Triton.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:13 PM   #6

Update, I filed an insurance claim (Progressive). Adjuster report listed a combination caulking and glue failure. This was attributed to manufacture defect and failure to properly maintain roof. Insurance did not pay anything. I have learned that even on a 3 yr old trailer you have to inspect the caulking every 6 months? Never had a problem like this before. I guess the $5k repair bill is a hard lesson learned.

2015 FunFinder F214WSD
2008 F150 with Triton.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:04 PM   #7
APD

OUCH!
I crawl up and look ours over about twice a year. Usually spring and fall. The last time I took pictures of the seams and caulking I added. The pictures were to help my short memory but, after your experience, the pictures would also help prove, lacking a receipt from a repair shop, that maintenance was done.
Not sure what the going rate for a re-roof is but $5K seems a little steep to me. Does that include replacement of the decking as well?

Alan
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:20 PM   #8

Update: After a lo of research and discussion I finally decided to have my Fun Finder roof repaired. I choose DFW RV Roof. They are the local franchise of RVRoof.com. They use the Flex Armor system. They will remove everything on the roof spray on a new roof and then replace vents etc. Left the RV with them yesterday. Will pick up on Friday or Saturday.

2015 FunFinder F214WSD
2008 F150 with Triton.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:18 PM   #9
N&K

Send a message via AIM to N&K

Sounds like a good way to take care of your problem. Looks like you will also get a lifetime warranty, great. Hope it is not too bad on your pocketbook.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:57 PM   #10

Seems like RVs randomly take a swipe at you pocketbook.

2015 FunFinder F214WSD
2008 F150 with Triton.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasWray View Post
Update: After a lo of research and discussion I finally decided to have my Fun Finder roof repaired. I choose DFW RV Roof. They are the local franchise of RVRoof.com. They use the Flex Armor system. They will remove everything on the roof spray on a new roof and then replace vents etc. Left the RV with them yesterday. Will pick up on Friday or Saturday.
Wish there was a like button. This is a great idea.
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:23 AM   #12

I picked up the RV today. Roof looks great. Everything done just as agreed upon. Heavy rain last night. No leaks anywhere. Thanks again DFW RVroof.com.

2015 FunFinder F214WSD
2008 F150 with Triton.

Tags
alpha systems, edpm, proflex, roof, tpo