Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2016, 10:34 AM   #1

Default Roof section issue..

I was given a used FanTastic fan to replace the original front vent on our "new" to us "08 189.
While checking things out from the top, I noticed some "uplift" of the TPO roofing and upon 'pressing down' found an area of a couple sq ft that feels to have some delam ? I can press the tpo down, feeling firmess ( of the luan?) for a inch or so and then solidness.
I have paused the fan changeout to hopefully address this. The vent interior trim is off, and the roof framing is Al. Seems to be a layer of luan just under the TPO.

First question, is the tpo glued down.... I'm thinking it floats.

The area of concern starts 10 inches or so from the sidewall between the front side edge and the refridge vent. Last night I noticed the awning bracket had rusty mounting lags, and the sealant was not noticeable, so I think that could be the source.

As for repair.... my first thought was to pull the old vent and see if there is enough slack in the tpo to reach the area. ... 'bout 2 -3 feet.
That would be if the tpo is floating.

Now I'm thinking... cut the roofing at the site, peel apart, fix the delam and then re-lay and patch the roofing.
As far as fixing the delam luan, what would be the repair options there?
The trouble area, being up front, would be subjected to some turbulence @ hwy speeds I'm thinking.... and delay could compound the issue?

Of course the mounting braket will be addressed.
Thoughts and/or guidance is greatly appreciated.

T town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:21 AM   #2

I replaced my TPO roof last summer due to a large leak in the front. As I was removing the roof I found every sq. in. is glued down. I also want to let you know I have several feet of the roof membrane left and a full gallon of adhesive, if interested PM me for more details. It is all dicor products see page.

Roof Products | Dicor Products | Official Website

F_FT139_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:31 AM   #3

You can learn just about anything on youtube.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:08 AM   #4

Sure can..... but all I have found are sidewall repairs.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:22 AM   #5

I'm pretty handy with repairs and so forth -- but for something this serious, I might get a quote from the dealer or a local RV repair facility. A roof delam is a big deal, and it probably involves not only replacing the rotted wood but finding and sealing the leak that caused it.

But it sounds as though you are more than pretty handy -- you sound like you actually know what you are doing!
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:54 AM   #6

" you sound like you actually know what you are doing! "

......my wife says that often.......!
Can't see fit to pay for something I could do myself I guess. But only by the "wisdom of others" can we make that happen.

I don't think it makes sense to glue down the roofing layer ( tpo) . It seems it would have to be able to move with expansion/contraction. Then again, with hwy speeds, wouldn't it want to bellow with the turbulence?
At the vent opening, the tpo is cut flush with the opening edge. I see where some ( thicker roof profile) fold the roofing over the framing and staple. No way too see if its glued w/o taking out the vent.

Hoping to have the ducks lined up prior to opening up the roof.

There is no apparent damage/ softness on the inside of the trailer at the spot.
The front leading edge, where the frontwall meets the roof has had numerous layers of dicor, which may need to removed and re-caulked?

I 'll have to take pictures when it gets opened up.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:36 AM   #7

What I would do if the problem was not to bad, would be to drill a few small holes in the roof section that was delaminated, and pump in the epoxide glue using a big old syringe. Once satisfied that the glue is pretty well covering the area of concern, I would set something heavy on the area and let it cure. After that I would finish of the area or the whole roof with compatible roof paint.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:51 PM   #8

These are the 2 videos I found helpful!!

Old 05-04-2016, 07:43 PM   #9

My searches seem to show that the TPO is glued down.

If that is the case, then replacing blistered luan would be tough. If it floats, I can make a few cuts and peel it back to replace the wood.
If its glued, then without resorting to a big patch, it seems that an epoxy 'injection' would be the method of choice... leaving several small holes to patch. But then the damaged luan would be left in place but encapsulated by epoxy.