Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2016, 08:24 PM   #1

Default RV Door lock replacement

I have a 2008 x189fbs fun finder I need a new door lock but as I live
in New Zealand I can not get one here it has a Fastec one on it Amazon
have them but because where I live the company will not send them out
but there is another lock called Reco Pro camper trailer door lock and I was wondering if these will replace the Fastec one any info would be much
appreciated
Andrew

Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:50 AM   #2

Default It's about the Keys?

Both replacement entry door locks appear to be very similar. Hard to tell because the measurements are not provided for both. I'll bet either would fit with some minor adjustments. Screw holes or gasket might not line up exactly. Door thickness might affect fit. But a trip to the local hardware store would probably provide everything to make it work.
I think most people would be concerned that the same key for the entry door might not work in the cubby hole doors. If it's a completely different lock manufacturer, then even a locksmith wouldn't be able to rekey and make them work. But if carrying two keys isn't a big deal, then might be worth a try.
Make sure the lock is for a right or left entry depending on how your door opens. You can't just flip it upside down because of the key holes (that make sense?)

runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:03 AM   #3
Site Team

Maybe a different supplier will ship them internationally. There are several online RV suppliers who carry the Fastec brand. Here's one:
Travel Trailer Entrance Entry Door Lock Handle Black - $24.20
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 03:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner421 View Post
Both replacement entry door locks appear to be very similar. Hard to tell because the measurements are not provided for both. I'll bet either would fit with some minor adjustments. Screw holes or gasket might not line up exactly. Door thickness might affect fit. But a trip to the local hardware store would probably provide everything to make it work.
I think most people would be concerned that the same key for the entry door might not work in the cubby hole doors. If it's a completely different lock manufacturer, then even a locksmith wouldn't be able to rekey and make them work. But if carrying two keys isn't a big deal, then might be worth a try.
Make sure the lock is for a right or left entry depending on how your door opens. You can't just flip it upside down because of the key holes (that make sense?)
Thank you runner421 for your reply I have just removed the door lock and checked the cut out hole size and thickness and match's the measurement's with the
recreation pro door lock so will go ahead with that one
Andrew
Old 01-31-2016, 03:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ View Post
Maybe a different supplier will ship them internationally. There are several online RV suppliers who carry the Fastec brand. Here's one:
Travel Trailer Entrance Entry Door Lock Handle Black - $24.20
Thank you LJAZ for your reply to my question I will go ahead with purchasing of the recreation pro door handle on amazon (I found a dealer here in NZ but he want's $185 NZ dollar's plus freight Amazon price all up delivered approx.$60 NZ)
Andrew
Old 01-31-2016, 05:54 PM   #6

When we picked up our trailer the service tech who took us through it told us that one of the locks (not the deadbolt) and the cargo doors are actually shared by a huge majority of RVs. So changing those locks sounds like a good idea. He told us to always lock the deadbolt.
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:43 PM   #7

I wish the locks on each unit were keyed alike so didn't need a separate key for the front door, the rear door, the rear loading ramp (toy hauler), the front outside under bed storage door, the cable toy lock underneath and ...... well, you know.

Every lock takes a different key.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
I wish the locks on each unit were keyed alike so didn't need a separate key for the front door, the rear door, the rear loading ramp (toy hauler), the front outside under bed storage door, the cable toy lock underneath and ...... well, you know.

Every lock takes a different key.
Hmmm. We only have two. We're lock deprived I guess.😞
Old 01-31-2016, 07:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
Hmmm. We only have two. We're lock deprived I guess.😞

Yea, you got shorted big time not getting more keys

Which reminds me, there is also a separate key for the outside shower access door.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:09 AM   #10

Got my new door lock from Amazon today ended up buying a an AP Products 013-534 Bauer travel trailer lock fitted ok with a minor alteration to door not a problem work's great and a lot cheaper than the one I was looking at.
Andrew
Old 02-13-2016, 04:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Got my new door lock from Amazon today ended up buying a an AP Products 013-534 Bauer travel trailer lock fitted ok with a minor alteration to door not a problem work's great and a lot cheaper than the one I was looking at.
Andrew
Good find. Our regular door lock is fine now but still want to replace the storage bay locks. When I went to see your lock I noticed this set. Four for $20 prime sounds good. Comes with two keys. But we haven't checked the length of ours yet. 7 degrees here this morning.

Prime Products 18-3310 5/8" Keyed Camlock- Pack of 4 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002XM56MA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_CHXVwb1M2E56K
Old 05-02-2017, 04:39 PM   #12

Needed to replace our FIC (Fastec) door lock as handle lock seized, locking us out of our 210wbs trailer. Drilled it out (deadbolt lock still worked) until we could get a replacement.

Also hated that our door lock didn't use the same key as the compartments & especially disgusted that CH751 keys are used in most campers (thief's dream). Thus after some research, we discovered RVsLocksandMore.com. We purchased replacement door & compartment locks (not commonly available) last fall.

Finally got around to installing them yesterday. Super easy to DIY & no special mod required (had to reuse the old compartment's cam arm as it doesn't come with). We now have one key works all! The shipping to Canada was hard to swallow ($73 USD) but locks were very reasonably priced, especially considering the extra security they provide.

Highly recommend for the extra piece of mind. Also, it's a bonus that these compartment locks come with a rubber seal that originals did not, are easier to turn, has a key that can be inserted either way, & is just plain better made.

Wheatboy is offline   Reply With Quote