Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2015, 01:29 PM   #1

Default Securing your generator/bicycles/etc. at the campground

Although I've never had a problem, these items may provide an extra measure of security from those who would take advantage of opportunity and 'help themselves' to your goods.

http://lockalarm.com/products/

I am ordering the Lock Alarm Maxi w/5 foot cable to secure my Honda Inverter/generator with companion to the tongue of my XT 276 as a $50 insurance policy on a $2,000 investment.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:33 AM   #2
Site Team

For my generator I set it in the bed of the pickup & lock the tailgate. I leave the cap side and back window open when I run it. I also have a 15' vinyl coated steel cable and weather proof padlock as an extra measure to lock the generator into the truck. The thieves will move on to an easier target.

The only time we've take the bikes we camped at a state campground with hookups so no generator. It's also a bit more secure than the federal campgrounds with rangers patrolling pretty regularly. I just locked the bikes
to the picnic table using the same cable.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:53 PM   #3

No topper on my pickup .. locking tailgate and a tonneau cover for 'out of sight' things but no real security.

I've used a heavy vinyl covered cable in the past but the one with the alarm looked better ~ and unless inside or nearby, never leave the gens out when gone away from the campground.

Thought the alarm cable would be good when staying overnight in a parking lot. Also got metal tabs on the bottom of them to padlock the two together....not so easy to just 'walk away' that way.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:14 AM   #4

I have the 30' LockAlarm. You'll be surprised at how loud it is. Unless you're all alone, deep in a National forest, that sound will get someone's attention.

I have only used it for my Wineguard Carryout antenna - that's a pricey little piece of equipment. I got such a long cable to be able to reach a nearby tree (or picnic table).

Will it stop a determined thief? No. But it'll scare the heck out of him and slow him down some.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellep
I have the 30' LockAlarm. You'll be surprised at how loud it is. Unless you're all alone, deep in a National forest, that sound will get someone's attention.

I have only used it for my Wineguard Carryout antenna - that's a pricey little piece of equipment. I got such a long cable to be able to reach a nearby tree (or picnic table).

Will it stop a determined thief? No. But it'll scare the heck out of him and slow him down some.
I agree ... a thief will always take whatever they may regardless of measures implemented. But, most are not that smart and use darkness, silence and no witnesses to escape unnoticed with their stolen loot.

Any measure that hinders that is a determent to the opportunistic thief.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:51 AM   #6

We also have chains and locks on our battery and LP tanks. After one stolen battery in my own driveway, I lock them wherever we go.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:03 PM   #7

HERE IS A HECK OF A SALE PRICE ON THE LOCK ALARM.

I ORDERED A 2ND ONE!

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...Ntt=lock+alarm
Old 06-20-2015, 04:29 AM   #8

Thanks Eagle that is a deal! I ordered two.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:14 AM   #9

Do you guys have a problem with theft ? I been camping since I was 3 my family and myself have never had anything stolen at a campground(or at home) in 50 years. Just get insurance on camper/contents if your worried about theft it good to have anyway .
If I caught someone messing with my stuff I will shoot them in the kneecaps
2017 Keystone Summerland 1750RD
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:58 AM   #10

Thieves are opportunists, that is most take the path of least resistance when an opportunity is present.

I see no point in providing an opportunistic invitation. Your house, motor vehicles and camper have locks and keys to use for securing your property.

Only a fool would leave keys in their vehicles & their doors wide open when gone.....and same when leaving a valuable item outside when not present ... like a satellite dish, generator, fancy bicycle or whatever.

Although I've never had anything taken when camping ~ I won't provide a "please take me" invitation either. That is MY choice.

Others certainly may make their choices.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:04 AM   #11
Site Team

Actually, I've never had a problem. But it's better to have the extra security and not need it. Especially for the high dollar items that are easy to turn into cash quickly. At the US Forest Service campground I go to the campground hosts have warned people that they often get reports of stolen generators. Pretty easy for a thief to grab quickly and disappear.

I think breaking into the trailer is less likely because it takes time. Too easy to get caught.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote