Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2015, 12:49 PM   #1

Default Sharp corner edges on trailer tearing cover: Possible solution

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up on some stuff I found that seems to be working nicely for my sharp trailer corners.

2005 Fun Finder T139. Unless you buy a custom cover, all the generic covers are going to fit large on this baby because it's so small. I've tried everything to deal with sharp edges on my trailer but I live in AZ and the winds are brutal here. Tennis balls and pool noodles don't stay, the winds blow them off. I don't want to use tape because the heat melts the tape to the trailer surface.

I found this stuff on eBay and decided to give it a try for $14. It goes on easily and sticks well. Not necessarily pretty, but it comes in different colors and it's a 3M product. I decided in lieu of removing sticky tape from pool noodles taped to my trailer before I tow it, I might as well put this permanent stuff on and leave it.

Bumper Strip Surface Protector Corner Edge Cushion Guard 2meters with 3M Tape | eBay

Not sure how it will stand up in the heat (if it will get brittle and lose its squishiness), but I'll let you know after summer. But so far, it's pretty good stuff. It won't see sun unless I'm traveling so it should hold reasonably well.

I'm having a custom Sunbrella cover made and don't want this expensive cover tearing; if this stuff keeps its foamy/squishy consistency, it's going to be fantastic. Let me know if you try it and it works for you.

Bonbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:52 PM   #2
roy

I buy the foam things you wash a car with from Walmart. Cut in half and pull cover up tight against trailer. My cover is a ADCO and has sinch pull cords on each end of the trailer. I only need this setup on the back corners not up front. For my gutter spouts up top on each corner I take an old sock wrap around each gutter securing with duct tape wrapped around the bundle. 4 years I have been doing this and the cover has ripped twice but easily repaired with a patch from ADCO or just strip of duct tape. I have had two gutter spouts break off over time but it was just wear and tear and the plastic dry rotted from sun. Not a perfect system but our camper is only covered 4 months of the year. We use it at least once a month rest of the year so no need to cover it then.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover tearing, pool noodles, sharp edge, tennis balls