Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2017, 04:45 PM   #1

Default Shurflo accumulator dilemma

My wife has always been disappointed with the amount of noise generated by the water pump in our x210 FF. We mostly try to camp at places that have water hookups but as we all know, many to not. I have read that installing accumulator. can go a long way in reducing this noise, so I got the ShurFlo model 182-200 that many folks have stated that they use.
I thought that it was going to be a simple install but that is proving to NOT be the case. The instruction sheet shows a few possible modes of installation. My problem seems to be the lack of room to mount the accumulator in places where the cold water line is accessible and meet the criteria listed in the instructions.
The pump and freshwater tank are mounted under the foot end of the queen bed. There is barely enough room for the inflow and outflow fittings to the pump. So attaching directly to the pump (in its current location) would be impossible. The readily accessible runs of 1/2" PEX tubing are all pretty short with several 90 degree connectors. I don't think that any will allow for the accumulator to be placed in-line. The final option is the "T" mode. In order to use that mode, the accumulator would be left "hanging in the breeze" or have considerable distance between the water line and the accumulator. I'm assuming that section would need to be bled of air to allow the accumulator to function.
I'm thinking that I just may have to reposition the pump to allow for a direct-to-pump mount.
Am I seeing more of a problem than I need to? Have others had similar issues and solved them?
Any input is likely to be helpful. Thanks
RipVan

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:09 PM   #2

Mine is in the T mode -- does not seem to be a problem. What do you mean about the unit hanging in the breeze? Mine sticks up into the air under the seat near the pump, but it does not move -- the connections keep it very stable.

Am I misunderstanding your question?

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:49 AM   #3

I made a wood support so I could screw it in while being positioned vertically. I made the mistake of originally mounting it horizontally, which makes it difficult to sanitize and winterize.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
Mine is in the T mode -- does not seem to be a problem. What do you mean about the unit hanging in the breeze? Mine sticks up into the air under the seat near the pump, but it does not move -- the connections keep it very stable.

Am I misunderstanding your question?
Don't think that you are misunderstanding my question. In my situation, I would not be able to "T" the accumulator directly into the water line. I would have to use an extension piece of PEX ~10-12" long. The accumulator would be like a flag at the top of a flagpole. It wouldn't be out where anyone would actually see it "hangin' in the breeze" but it would be totally unsupported.
RipVan

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
Old 09-14-2017, 05:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinster2 View Post
I made a wood support so I could screw it in while being positioned vertically. I made the mistake of originally mounting it horizontally, which makes it difficult to sanitize and winterize.
Whatever mounting arrangement I end up with, it will include the accumulator being solidly mounted to minimize vibration. It will also be mounted in a manner that allows access to the pressure valve and also allows for ease of removal for Winterization.
RipVan

Old 10-02-2017, 08:18 AM   #6

It's because the pump is hard connected to very stiff PEX tubing. Just yesterday I installed a "Valterra P23512PB RV Water Pump Silencing Kit" on our F-210UDS and IT WORKED! The pump is now amazingly quiet. It took some stand-on-your-head plumbing, but it was well worth the effort.
(Valterra P23512PB RV Water Pump Silencing Kit - 1pk*)
jimplumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:47 PM   #7

Default Pump Noise Solved

The water pump in our 2015 210UDS was VERY noisy. Tried putting foam pipe insulation everywhere we could push it with so-so results. We discovered that the problem is the pump being connected to quite stiff PEX tubing which readily transfers vibration throughout. So just today we installed a "Valterra P23512PB RV Water Pump Silencing Kit" purchased on Ebay, remembering to make a gentle loop with the included hose(s) to prevent straight line vibration transmission. WOW! What a difference. The pump is nearly silent now. Plus, while we were at it we added a 2 gallon expansion tank which allows the bathroom faucet to run wide open almost 30 seconds before the pump comes on, instead of every 2 seconds. It required some stand-on-your-head plumbing, but it was well worth it.
jimplumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:34 AM   #8

Well done!

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote