Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2017, 07:27 AM   #1

Default Slide floor replacement

I just replaced the floor in my slide. What a project. I typed up the whole process to post here but the forum didn't post it correctly. I don't have time to re-type it right now but will try in the future. Don't hesitate to ask any questions as I had a hard time finding information on replacing the floor in this type of slide.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:44 AM   #2

So, why did you have to replace the slide floor??

getzold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by getzold View Post
So, why did you have to replace the slide floor??
The entire outside edge along with the front quarter of the floor was completely rotten. It appeared as though it was designed to hold water at the end grain of the plywood floor if it ever leaked.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:02 PM   #4

OK, thanks. We have a 214wsd, so I will have to check that out.
getzold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:14 PM   #5

I just did this on my x189fds slide. The floor is made of a cheap Chinese-made interior-grade plywood that delaminates and rots when it gets wet.

Hopefully you'll notice that I stated "when" not "if".

Check any exterior trim for cracks to make sure water can't get in from the top side. The ends of the slide don't have any type of drip-edge so water running down the ends of the slide can wick underneath and settle behind any trim pieces. So also check underneath the slide for water entry points.

As part of my repair, I'm installing a slide awning. They cost around $200 for a 9' carefree awning and another $40 for the hardware/install kit. But based on what I've experienced with this slide, it would be cheap insurance that might prevent this happening to your camper.

nozzleman, were any of your interior moldings damaged. On mine, the wide 2-part mdf vinyl-wrapped molding that trims out the slide were water-damaged along the bottom. I still have to get some of that from Cruiser, or run some myself to finish my repair.
conifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:54 AM   #6

Another possible solution is to paint the underside of the plywood and edges with marine polyurethane. This would involve removing the trim, applying the urethane, then replacing the trim with appropriate caulking. Polyurethane is pretty tough stuff and if you apply it before you get much water damage you should be ok.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:21 PM   #7

Mine came with a fairly tough black coating on the bottom that stayed in place even when the plywood swelled and de-laminated. So the bottom surface wasn't the problem. The entry points for the water were at the edges where everything comes together ie: trim, screws, and weatherstrip.

So your advice about removing the trim, applying the appropriate sealant, and then replacing the trim would be the best (and cheapest option) if you don't show any signs of damage yet.

conifer is offline   Reply With Quote