Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2019, 11:06 AM   #1

Default Solar SAE Connector on FF -- How is it wired?

This is probably a dumb question but please explain the function of the Solar SAE connector which is on the side of our FF trailer. It is tagged as being limited to 20 Amps. Where does the other end of the cable connect? Does it run directly to the battery or perhaps the fuse/circuit breaker panel?
Is this the best place to attach a solar charge controller or would it be better to attach directly to the batteries? Or can I mount the charge controller inside the trailer and use this SAE connector for attaching the output from the solar panels? Sorry for so many questions!
Thanks!

Old 05-21-2019, 05:34 PM   #2

I may be wrong but that connector is likely for the wiring that runs from your solar panels. Not sure if the connector is hooked to anything internally, but normally it would go to a solar charge controller which would then be connected to your battery. I would recommend following the internal wires from the SAE connector to see where they lead. You may already have a controller built into the trailer.

twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:43 PM   #3

Yeh, I'm trying to figure out where the SAE connector on the outside runs inside the trailer. I looked in the battery area and the junction box near the batteries but didn't spot anything. BTW, we have a belly pan so everything is covered up underneath. I guess the next place to look is perhaps behind the fuse and breaker panel which in our case is located below the bottom bunk bed. Thanks, FunFinder for not including any wiring or technical information on our trailer! I was putting off having to sit a couple of ours on the floor and peering into the cavity but it may be worth it!
Old 05-23-2019, 07:28 PM   #4

I agree with twinster2. In the absence of a manual about your trailer wiring, you must follow those wires and find out where they go. There is a good chance that they simply lead directly to your battery. But I would not assume that. The plug is likely the standard one that RV manufacturers are now commonly installing on the sides of RVs so you can conveniently plug in a portable solar unit once you get to the campsite. Note that there are portable units that have charge controllers built in and ones that are simply the PV panels and require a separate charge controller between the portable unit and the battery(ies).
2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
jbfunfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:29 PM   #5

Oh, and check this out:
https://gpelectric.com/solar-side/
2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
jbfunfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:42 PM   #6

This is my Go Power Solar Connector which is located on the front side of the trailer near the end. I still am unsure just where the wires go but today I discovered a 20A fuse behind a panel in the front storage area (on the front side) and I am thinking these may be the wires. Hopefully I can Ohm them out tomorrow. They appeared to be around 10-12 gauge.
Attached Thumbnails
Go Power Solar Connector.jpg  
Old 06-03-2019, 08:58 PM   #7

I have attached a photo of the wood panel which is just inside the front storage area on the left side. The top of the photo is actually the left side as I looked at it.
The second photo is of the wires I found behind the panel. The top of the photo is actually the right side as I looked at it. One wire had a 20 Amp fuse (Yellow) that runs between the external solar connector (shown in a previous posting) and the weatherproof battery junction box.
I don't understand why this panel is unlabeled by the manufacturer. How in the world would anyone know to look here?
Attached Thumbnails
20190603_173411.jpg   20190603_172008.jpg  

Tags
connector, solar