Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-18-2016, 06:52 AM   #1

Default Table falling in the middle of the night

Has anyone experienced the table falling down while it is made into the bed?
My wife had a leg cramp at 3:30 in the morning. As she was trying to crawl over me to stand up the table fell. Here I am in my slippery sleeping bag stuck in the "v" created by the table being at an angle and my wife trying to stretch. It would have made a great picture. Once she helped me up we couldn't stop laughing.
The table needs to be about 1/2" wider to sit tightly on the ledges. Any suggestions on how to fix it?

"Skinny people are easier to kidnap...eat more pie"
PieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:45 AM   #2

I would look at the "box" that is the seat.... maybe cut a brace to 'push' out the middle?
Ours does not have the dinette... so I'm not sure how the set up is.

T town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:11 AM   #3

I was not happy with the table that came with our trailer -- it was tremendously heavy (made of MDF covered in Formica). So I replaced it with one I made myself out of half inch Baltic birch plywood -- very light and strong -- also looks good. I finished it with wipe on poly.

I then replaced the "ledges" that hold up the table -- they were just white pine, not beefy enough in my opinion. Although my wife is very small and light, I am not -- I weigh around 230 lb., depending on what I had for dessert last night.

So I replaced those ledges with slightly wider, slightly thicker, and much stronger hardwood -- I used maple, but oak would do just fine.

Is this overkill? Yes. But I no longer worry that the table will collapse!
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 04:39 PM   #4

I'm thinking of making some slats with pins in them (or some keeper blocks to hold them in place) that would sit on the ledge. I'd need to lower the ledge the thickness of the slat. Then the table would sit on the slat.
Thought about making 2 short pvc legs that we would put in when the dinette is made into a bed. That would add some extra support but might still move around.
The table works fine so I don't need to make a new one at this time. That might be a winter project.
"Skinny people are easier to kidnap...eat more pie"
PieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote