Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-14-2010, 02:14 PM   #1

Default To cover or not to cover?

I have lost my indoor storage and must now start storing my 2010 X210WBS at an outdoor facility. I live in Northern Illinois.

My question is would I be smart to cover the unit during the winter or not.
I have received lots of answers and some even make sense but on both sides of this issue.

I know I can buy a breathable cover etc. but have been told no matter how good the cover fits it will stll be blown and move around a bit during windy conditions which will wear on the surfaces at the corners especially.

I have been told to leave it uncovered and at the start of each camping season to check out the roof caulking etc. and touch up as needed and this would make the most sense.

Does anyone have any strong feelings or suggestions one way or the other?

Thanks.

mrb12549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:09 AM   #2

Default covering trailer

I would cover it up. I just had my trailer destroyed by water getting in. The repair place said it's been getting in since new. He also said there was no water seal under the joints so water had free access to the inside. Basically he said that he has never seen such poor construction of a trailer.

It's costing thousands to repair, but what choice do I have.

Make sure all joints are sealed and the lights.

Good luck,
Walter

Old 06-21-2010, 08:08 AM   #3

You should be checking the caulking quite often, and replacing when required, no matter if it is covered or not.

I would highly recommend covering your trailer with a proper breathable cover.

Whoever told you the cover will wear down the surfaces must be a rv salesman (ie.. full of it). By that logic, the wind alone would wreck a trailer.

The fibreglass exterior is very durable, but the vinyl & plastic is prone to fading then cracking, especially when exposed to uv constantly.

My winterizing routine includes a good exterior/interior cleaning, a waxing, then I place tennis balls/foam on any sharp edges, then cover the trailer.

Drive around the storage lot and check out some of the "yellowed" trailers. Those are the ones that have never been covered.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:03 PM   #4

Default Trailer cover

I bought a cover from Camping world to protect from sun damage. The cover comes with 6-8 straps with adjustable buckles that extend under the trailer to insure a tight fit. The cover also comes with grommets on each end and ropes for use in tightening the ends. The cover storage bag is a perfect fit over the two propane tanks. Mine doesn't do much flopping around in a strong wind. Perhaps the fit depends on the brand of cover purchased.
Patient and understanding wife
dlhilliard is offline   Reply With Quote