Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #1

Default Tornado tank rinser?

Just curious, any of you installed one of these fine gadgets to your black tank?
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...nnection/28091

Our black tank doesn't drain worth a crap, so I thought if I install one of those it might help a bit.
I have one of those rinsers that you put thru the toilet, but to me it is dirty.

jeepcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #2

I installed two of them... One for the gray and one for the black. Installed them on the opposite side of the drains (curb side install) so that the water "pushed" toward the drains and I routed the hose connectors over to where the drain is located (on the frame between the bumper and the drain). Worked like a charm. There are a lot of people that swear by the Flush King, but, the "engineer" in me didn't see the advantage of flushing everything back to the back of the tank and "hoping" that it would flush out when you turned the water off. Seemed to me that "pushing" from the far side with a Tornado made a bit more sense and it certainly worked well.

One caution... While lots of water pressure is good for showers, not so much for the Tornado device. There are some people that claim that they are flimsy, poor design, etc. while the real problem may have been user error. My instructions said to keep water pressure to around 40 psi or damage could occur. I bought a 40 psi water regulator for the gray hose and always turned the water on slowly and never had an issue in the 4 years I used them. Watts pressure regulator set for 60 psi on the white hose and Camco brass 40 psi regulator on the gray. No problems.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #3

webslave, did your 08 FF have the built in flush system that comes on the newer FFs? Ours has a flush line plumbed into the exterior wall to run water into the black tank. We haven't used our trailer a great deal yet, so do not yet have any issues with the tank 'loading up', but when I've used that flush, it seems to do a great job of adding a good deal of water to the tank to flush it. Tank (viewing through the toilet, Yippie!) looks to be pretty clean when this is done. I just don't want to get a build up -- easier to prevent than correct! THX

2012 FF X-214WSD
2010 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4, 5.7 Hemi MDS, Huskey 1200lb trunnion WD, Prodigy Brake
Yamaha EF2000i
Prion Seayak Kayaks
fischnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:06 PM   #4

Thanks Webslave, I think I might install it like you did, it just makes sence.
I still havn't got a flusher , but we will be in the US (Idaho) in July and I might just have to go to Walmart or Camping world and get one. I looked on line to get one shipped to me but the shipping is more than what the flusher is worth, go figure.
jeepcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:09 PM   #5

fischnet, my '08 didn't have any rinsers at all. I tried the Flush King, but, I found it unsatisfactory for many reasons and so I installed the Tornado devices myself and routed the hoses to sit right next to the main drain pipe. A lot of trailers are now coming with black tank rinsers...my Cougar has one, but, they (the builders) somehow don't think the gray needs one. For the cost of a rinser and some hose, I'd pay the extra to have both gray and black tank rinsers...after watching what my gray tank Tornado would "rinse" out after merely draining the tank, there is a need, in my mind's eye, for both.

jeepcruiser, I know what you mean...I've never quite figured out why shipping takes such a big jump at the border, and if you are coming stateside anyway, then is the time to "stock up"!

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:58 PM   #6

THX Don, I may consider that for the grey. We are very judicious about not rinsing anything down the drain from our plates or pots ... at least not very much, mostly wipe them fairly clean with a paper towel and then commit to wash. But, it might not be a bad idea any way, not that spendy for a good clean tank!

2012 FF X-214WSD
2010 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4, 5.7 Hemi MDS, Huskey 1200lb trunnion WD, Prodigy Brake
Yamaha EF2000i
Prion Seayak Kayaks
fischnet is offline   Reply With Quote