Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2017, 10:56 AM   #1

Question TV Antenna upgrade?

Greetings All,
Our 2012 FF 214WSD has what I’d describe as a roof fixed disc antenna on a short attachment stand. I have not found a crank or other device for raising or lowering. The disc looks kinda like the front end of the Starship Enterprise. The TV is a Sansui 22” LED and sitting here in the yard by the house it picks up several channels. However, when I get out to the state park or other more remote rv site I get nothing even though I don’t believe I’m really out of reasonable reception range. So I’m looking for recommendation of an add on antenna. I’ve heard of some but would love some first hand advice. I really am not wanting to do roof mods or other extensive body work.
Thanks so much.

rolandr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:24 PM   #2

It's quite possible you have the same 'factory installed' fixed antenna that came on my unit. The brand is Jensen and sat low to the roof. It's would pickup one or two stations by the house but when out, just lots of snow.

I replaced it with a King Jack antenna and now can pickup lots of stations and usually pretty good reception too.

https://www.amazon.com/KING-OA8500-D...ack+rv+antenna

Bought mine on sale at ??? for about $80 at the time.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:30 PM   #3

When we got our FF, the antenna was missing. Left in a low hanging tree by the last owner I presume. After much research, I told dh we should buy a Winegard Sensar. He bought a King Jack instead. It was ok, but very hard locate stations and even here at our house on a hill with the towers in plain sight, we didn't get all the stations.

Our current FW has a Winegard RV, not the Winegard Sensor. It is ok, much better than the King. But still have problems with some channels even when I point straight at an tv tower.
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:50 AM   #4

This forum is great because the members are. Thanks guys I’ll proceed to investigate your suggestions.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:48 AM   #5

I agree, this is a great forum. I was glad they let me stay after we sold our FF.

On our very first camping trip with our FF, there was an older trailer nearby with a pole strapped to the side, and on the pole was a regular house antenna. At the time, I thought they were just too underfunded to buy an RV antenna, but now I wonder if they didn't do it to have a better antenna. While parked at the house, we use this RCA antenna which is mounted to a tower beside the house. No problems with it. But it bends easily so not suitable for being mounted to an RV.
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:35 PM   #6

Just to make sure I know what I think I know. I don’t have any paper to tell me about the factory installed antenna presently mounted, it may be Jensen as Eagle suggested. I don’t believe it raises or lowers, I’ve not found a crank or button so any replacement would also be fixed....right? Just a thought, there is a receptacle for a cable on the outside wall. Could I attach a portable outdoor antenna here and flip the inside switch from antenna to cable?
Old 10-31-2017, 03:56 PM   #7

IF you get on the roof, the antenna will have the name "Jensen" on it ... if that is the brand it is.

The factory installed Jensen antenna is short & fixed - AKA would not rotate nor raise/lower.

I mounted the King Jack in the same location on the roof ... had to enlarge the mounting hole in the roof a bit ~ and inside the camper, directly below the mounted antenna, mounted the directional mechanism w/signal strenth indicator lights on the camper roof. On my unit, it's just inside a cabinet so isn't exposed when the cabinet door is closed.

The King Jack comes with installation instructions.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:49 PM   #8

That helps Eagle, thanks. I’m a little tentative about removing stuff and re-installing on the roof membrane. Hopefully the old sealant comes off without damaging anything and the foot print of the King Jack mount is similar to the existing unit.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:56 PM   #9

FYI ~ before starting I went to a local camper store and purchased a small piece of roof membrane and some Dicor sealant so available if needed and were needed.

The TV cable that was attached to the factory antenna was attached to the new King Jack antenna ... keep ahold of it when you detach it from the factory antenna so you don't have to fish for it.

To power the King Jack, used the factory power supply for the 'cigarette lighter like' plug in for a cell phone that is on the same panel for the antenna power boost & cable connection to the tv. That part of the installation was my sons' job as I was on the roof.

Best on your endeavor.