Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2011, 08:49 AM   #1

Default Wall studs and anchors

Hi all,
I did some searching in these forums on this, but didn't find too much on this topic. I've done lots of home improvement in walls with nice strong 2x4 studs, but just starting to "improve" our 2010 X-210WBS. I'm initially looking to add some LED reading lamps by the beds, plus add some shelves in the closets on either sides of the bed.

So my question is what is the construction of the walls, and how do I screw into them? I assume there is an aluminum frame in the exterior walls, but is there anything in the interior cabinet sides? Just 1/8" plywood faces? Do you use regular drywall anchors? Or try to find the aluminum frame and use self tapping screws?

I'm hoping to know what I'm facing before I start making exploratory holes. Thanks for any advice you can provide,
Jason.

jreich888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:15 PM   #2

If the items you are fastening a light enough you can just screw into the wood with wood screws. If they are heavier then you try to use a small toggle bolt. The big box stores sell a myriad of fasteners so you could look there for something that will work. Keep in mind that the walls a very thin (I think around 1 1/4"). So whatever you do, do not drill through to the outside. If you are fastening something heavy I would be inclined to add a 1 by 2 glued flat to the wall with construction adhesive and use that 1x2 to fasten your fasteners. That way you will spread the load out over the wall area. But once it is glued on there is no going back.

Good luck
Walter

Old 07-14-2011, 06:18 AM   #3

In am into improvements and modifications too, the last think I did on my canvas was adding some nice curtains to the side windows, and this simple tasks took me about 4 hours to complete, but it worth the effort.
Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #4

Another option for attaching things to the walls...they are very thin and the aluminum framing is usually already covered by cabinet mounting points...Command Strips.

I started out with their usual assortment of hooks and then I was looking for a good way to put up the toilet paper holder Then it hit me; you can buy the Command Adhesive strip refills (the sticky part, minus the hook). They come small, medium and large. A couple of those attached the mounting plates to the wall, the toilet paper holder to the mounting plates. Haven't budged in 2 1/2 years. Now I use them for virtually everything I need to hang on the trailers walls. They (3M) even have new version that is similar to Velcro, but, utilizes round knobs that interlock and I use them for anything that needs to go on the wall (or even a flat surface) that you need to take down periodically. They were designed for picture frames, but, serve just as well for the battery clock, the indoor / outdoor thermometer, the King Control SureLock meter, etc.

If I decide I don't like where I hung it (anything), they remove simply and cleanly with no damage to the wall or counter top (I use the picture hangers to mount the little rack the drink coasters sits in to the counter along with the DVD player).

Amazing stuff and you are only limited by your imagination as to what you can hang / mount / attach things to.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:10 PM   #5

Hi all, thanks for the advice and feedback.

The lights I was installing are light plastic LED reading lights, so I had considered using self adhesive, either the command strips or the more permanent 3M foam pads. The wall I was installing them on was actually an inside wall, actually the side of the "closet" beside the front walkaround bed.

I ended up using small plastic drywall anchors in the 1/8" luan plywood, which has about a 1" gap between the two sheets of plywood. I'm sure it will be fine. I don't think a toggle bolt would work, the space would be too small (or at least I don't remember ever seeing a toggle bolt that small).

Anyway, I've got the lights installed and they look and work pretty well, with the only real downside being the exposed wires going down the back of the closet (I got the power inside the passthrough storage). They should make a big difference for reading in bed, plus they will use very little power.

thanks again,
Jason.
jreich888 is offline   Reply With Quote