Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2016, 07:47 PM   #21

My tongue is short and is occupied by a dual battery box and two propane tanks. Right now, I carry the bikes on a rack mounted on the drawbar of the hitch -- the bikes are between the tailgate of the truck and the hitch ball. It works, but in order to open the tailgate, I have to take the bikes off every time, a big hassle.

I am still hopeful that I can retrofit the frame at the back of the trailer to take a bike hitch. It'll be a big project, adding a lot of weight and impairing my "angle of escape" rear clearance on steep driveways -- not sure if it is worthwhile. That is my project for December, I think.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:53 AM   #22

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
My tongue is short and is occupied by a dual battery box and two propane tanks. Right now, I carry the bikes on a rack mounted on the drawbar of the hitch -- the bikes are between the tailgate of the truck and the hitch ball. It works, but in order to open the tailgate, I have to take the bikes off every time, a big hassle.

I am still hopeful that I can retrofit the frame at the back of the trailer to take a bike hitch. It'll be a big project, adding a lot of weight and impairing my "angle of escape" rear clearance on steep driveways -- not sure if it is worthwhile. That is my project for December, I think.
My trailer tongue is not long enough to dedicate a bike rack's own space either and it would have to be built over the battery boxes... My big problem is inside space and my longer trips include my ATV and that takes up all the sit-down space... Oh well, once I get to my destination, I can unload the old Kodiak and chain it to the FF... Now I can lower the couch/dining area and relax...

Good luck with the rack; remember, if you are building it and need to raise the exit angle and have space between the bottom of the frame to the bottom of the trailer skirt, zig-zag the hitch so it rises from the frame and trailer rear... You should also be able to remove any jacks, skids, etc. and place them under the hitch frame...
I will keep watching for more info and pics of what you decide to do...
Attached Thumbnails
FunFinder Left Side with AT-1600.jpg  

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:13 PM   #23

I've thought about the over the tank bike rack several times and I think I could make it fit. However, there are two reasons that it does not appeal to me. First, I would have to lift the bike(s) up quite a distance to get them strapped in and reverse the process to get them down. I don't know about you folks, but I sold my popup and bought a travel trailer to get away from doing that sort of thing. Secondly, the rack will interfere with opening the rock shield over the front window.

twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote