Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2012, 11:04 AM   #1

Default Water heater

Question: I don't like to keep freshwater in the tank while my TT sits so I will drain it. Will this also drain my hot water tank? just concerned that if I plug the trailer into power while at home will it burn up the water heater or does it stay full of water. any comments would help. first trailer, couple trips under the belt. Love the new 2012 210uds.

Thanks

Old 08-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #2

If you are only draining the freshwater tank, the rest of your trailer's water system will retain a "full charge" of water in the lines. The water pump is a "one way" device and draining the water out of the freshwater tank (using its drain valve) will not draw water "backwards" out of the trailer's water lines, including the hot water tank.

For safety purposes, I don't recommend leaving the electric element "on"...in fact I don't even use mine. The water heater uses very little propane and it only takes half a second of current in the electric heating element to burn it up if there isn't any water in the water heater's tank. The switch for the element is a PITA to get to on most heaters (outside, behind the access panel and usually behind a pipe and a bunch of wires) and I don't even bother with it. Your LP heater on the tank shouldn't be run on an empty tank either, but, at least the control switch for that is on the inside panel and should be off if you don't need hot water.

I normally only turn the LP burner on once a day for about 15 minutes. I turn it on at night after we eat and by the time we've gathered the dishes, the water is hot and we turn it off and wash the dishes. It will stay plenty hot enough for the rest of the night, unless we are going to take a shower...if a shower is on the menu, we turn it on for the duration of the shower, then off again. Those little tanks are very efficient and extremely well insulated. The water is still pretty warm in the morning for what we need it for.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #3

Default Water heater

Thanks for the response!