Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #1

Default Water Heater FF139

Simple question

HOW DO I EMPTY MY WATER HEATER FOR WINTER?

Thanks

kiwikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #2

Default Anode

Open the hot water faucet in the sink to depressurize. Then unscrew the anode rod from the water heater. That will drain the water heater. You may also want to replace the rod if it is corroded.

If I recall correctly, a 13/16 socket should fit the head of the anode rod. You may need a long wrench, like a torque wrench, if it has been a long time since the anode was removed.

Good luck, and let us know if you have other questions!

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #3

Thanks a lot
Old 10-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #4

Sorry by the way

Where is the water heater located? I can see the adjustments and switches on the side of the unit but is this where its located

Thanks
Old 10-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #5

You'll need to access the anode rod (WH drain) from outside the trailer. Look around on the outside walls and you should see a door like this:

The fold down clip is at the top; unhinge it so that is sticks straight out and rotate it until it lines up with the matching slot and then pull the door out and down to access the water heater.

The anode rod, and IIRC it is 1 1/16th inch socket, is located here at the bottom:

Take that anode rod out, slowly, and the water will gush out (don't stand right in front of it!). There will be some water left in the bottom of the tank (please remember to shut the bypass valves off before using antifreeze). You can leave that water in there, or better yet, get a water heater cleaning wand and use your garden hose to flush that residual out. It will have a lot of grit and crud that you ought to get out of your tank. Now look at the rod you pull out. It will look awful, but, that's the way it should look. It doesn't need replacing until you can see the steel rod that runs through the middle of the Zinc covering; it will usually wear worse right at the nut...as long as you have lots of Zinc left, the rod is still serviceable even though it looks like it ought to be pitched. I've gotten 5 to 6 years out of our rods and we camp for >4 months per year. Remember to use teflon tape on the threads when you re-install it. The tape will seal the threads and make it easier to remove next time.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #6

Thanks so much ,that's exactly what I see , even though I was sure that was it , and its rusted ||| will take a socket to it tomorrow

Thanks once again
Old 10-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #7

Default One more thing

I think webslave is right -- it is 1 1/16, not 13/16. And in case opening the faucet does not depressurize the water heater, here are some precautions -- make sure no one is standing near the anode rod. Make sure your car or truck is not nearby, because the rod can shoot out and damage things. Wear eye protection. Wear gloves. Wear old clothes that can get wet or stained.

Please don't ask me how I learned all of this. You can guess, and you would be right.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote