Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2017, 05:51 AM   #1

Default Water Heater Sounding Alarm

I think our water heater is sounding our alarm when we run it on LP gas. Does anyone know how to check this? Can we soap the plastic connections and see if we get any bubbles? I thought I read some where not to spray the connections with soapy water. Any plumbers around that could give us some advice?
Any special places to check first? Thank you for any help!!

Cynsew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:14 AM   #2
Site Team

I'm assuming your talking about the LP alarm going off when you run your water heater on gas? If that's the case you most likely have a leak in the line somewhere and propane is making it's way to wherever your alarm is.
Soap solution is usually what is used to check for leaks in the gas lines and they should be metal not plastic.
Also make sure you're water is lighting. It's possible that it isn't and then shutting down but releasing enough LP in the process to set off the alarm, although it should vent to the outside.
A propane leak can create a very dangerous situation and you might want to consider having a professional check it out.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 05:21 AM   #3

Having worked in the propane industry, I have to agree with LJAZ: You should have a professional check it out. Our campers are filled with little hidden pockets that could easily collect enough propane to cause a real problem! You probably don't know where every propane fitting is, so you can't thoroughly bubble-check. The one you miss might be the leaker. And since propane is heavier than air, a leak outside/underneath the camper will almost never trigger the lp gas alarm.

A competent propane tech will put a gauge and air pressure on the entire system and then wait to see if the air bleeds out. If it does bleed out, it means there's a leak- and to keep looking.

Since your problem seems to correlate with the water heater running, it could even be a cracked or otherwise failing valve, valve fitting, or even the burner tube.

Unless you honestly understand how to work with propane, my advice is to not risk it.
-- 1962 Wife / Partner-In-Life
vttimwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:37 PM   #4

If it is only happening when the water heater is turned on, that limits the possible leak to that gas line and associated fittings running to the water heater. Not sure what model trailer you have, but with regard to my FBR, tracking down the leak would be relatively simple. There are literally only three or four fittings from the main line to the water heater. I guess it is up to you if you if you want to DIY or call in a professional. As for me, I would DIY since i grow up on a farm and have confidence in my ability to do it safely. If you do attempt a nubble rinse, just make sure you have all your windows cabinets and cubby holes are open. Wouldn't hurt to have a fan blowing too.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 02:19 PM   #5

Thank you for all the answers. I will let you know how we decide to handle it. My brother is a plumber, it might be time to call in for a favor!!
Cynsew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:54 AM   #6

An inexpensive gas 'sniffer' that really works:

Portable Gas Leak Detector Propane Butane Methane Natural Gas Safe Alarm Sensor