Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2018, 04:17 PM   #1

Default Water heater switch?

Getting ready to light the suburban sw6p water heater. I think it is the kind you light yourself. I don’t see any kind of electronic lighting devices. But this switch is inside the camper. Does this mean it has a 110 element too?
Attached Thumbnails
CB88D790-E25A-48CF-B276-AB8819036C3E.jpg  

Hilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:39 PM   #2

The switch is for the electronic ignition of your propane water heater. If you have dual electric water heater, the switch is outside on the lower left under the water heater face plate.

twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:18 PM   #3

really?? that is fantastic! I don't like lighting the water heater. so just turn the switch on and it lights the water heater? wow....
of course make sure it's full of water.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:36 AM   #4

Sorry to be clueless on this. I've looked on line, but can't find the information about the way to use this to turn on the water heater. I don't want to mess anything up, but I don't hear any ignition when I turn on the switch. of course I'm sure the knob needs to be in the proper position to light the heater. It does light easily from outside, so no big deal, really.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:12 AM   #5
Site Team

If you have that switch then you most likely have the Suburban 6 gallon DSI water heater and should not have to light the flame manually. Unless, of course, something isn't working right. It doesn't make much noise when it lights. I know I can't hear it when I'm inside the trailer. Here's a link to the manual:
https://www.rexandsonsrvs.com/manual...ice_Manual.pdf
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:41 AM   #6

It's really important to make sure there is water in the heater before you light it. Turn on your pump and open the hot water faucet in the sink. When water comes out, the heater tank has filled. Turn off the faucet and light 'er up!
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 02:22 PM   #7

thanks! I filled the tank, after changing the swiss cheese anode rod. the water heater lights very easily, and the water gets hot. but turning the inside switch to on seems to have no effect. thanks so much for the manual link, I'm going to read it more carefully to see if I'm missing a step. I suspect though that the switch isn't hooked up to the water heater, because the water heater doesn't have the electronics. the heater model is SW6P. because it is so easy to light, I'm not terribly disappointed if it won't light from inside.
OK, I see from the manual that our serial # is too early to have the re-igniter option.
the one thing our new little camper does not have is the manuals to all it is equipped with. I realize most of the things they install are common to most RVs and manuals can be found on line. but still the owners packet is sure nice to have.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:23 AM   #8
APD

Our little rig is a manual pilot light system as well. You're right it's very easy to light.
I usually turn off the propane if we leave the camper for the day, weather permitting, and then relight the pilot upon return.
I also have a 1/4 turn ball valve in our water line for campground hookup which I turn off during our absence.
Small things but they help our peace of mind while we're off site-seeing.

1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote