Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2019, 01:46 PM   #1

Default Water pump issue along with plumbing setup

Hello there I have a 2005 fun finder and I am new to this. I have found that the water pump does not turn on even though I am plugged into power. It appears the pump is good and also the fuse . My concern is that the wiring is not hooked up correctly or the wiring is not working that goes to the pump. I did not look close enough when I purchased the camper and it looked so nice and new and I bought it however now it does appear to have some issues that need help. I see that the pump is wired in but does not turn on I also see above the pump against the wooden side of the bench there is some type of fuse hanging there with two little plugs that are not plugged into anything? I'm not sure if this water pump is correctly wired in or if there's something deeper that's going on.

Smilingsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:45 PM   #2

Could it be a bad fuse?

I'm assuming that you have the pump turned on -- there is a switch on the control panel.

Keep asking questions!!

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:02 PM   #3

Does the wiring from the pump lead to the fuse holder. If so, it's likely that if you install a fuse (15 amp) it will allow the pump to run. The pump runs on 12 volt DC, so if your interior lights come on, you should have the right power to run your water pump. If still the pump does not work, get a volt meter and check if you are getting 12 volts to the pump. Also, there should be a switch somewhere to turn on power to the pump. Make sure its on. Good luck.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:15 AM   #4

There is a switch on the wall that says water pump. And the pump switch is on
Old 02-15-2019, 11:16 AM   #5

I don't have a control panel I have a fuse panel and all the fuses are good and I do have a on off switch for the water pump which when turned on still nothing. I have a video of it if it's possible to send you the video or put it on here but I don't know?
Old 02-15-2019, 11:18 AM   #6

If somebody has the same model 2005 t160 Shadow cruiser fun finder and they can look inside there's we'd be able to see what's going on compared to mine.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:34 PM   #7

Funny question -- is there water in the tank? It could be that the pump won't run if there is no water.

If you have water, and the fuse is ok, and the switch is on, then the next issue is whether there is power going to the pump. I think that would require a continuity meter, a very simple and inexpensive tool. I say "I think" because I have never used one! I also think there are youtube videos on how to use a continuity meter to check to see if power is flowing to a specific device.

I am hoping that someone with more electrical savvy will jump in here and rescue me from my own ignorance.

Can you contact the former owner to find out if he or she had any pump problems?
Old 02-15-2019, 08:34 PM   #8

Thanks for your suggestions. Yes the tank is full. No I can't find out from previous owners�� The wiring to and from the pump look good to me??? But there is an odd looking wire above the pump on the side of the bench seat. It looks like 2 plugs and has a fuse as well. Don't have a clue what it's for. But the little white plastic plugs are not plugged in to anything.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:09 AM   #9

I would say that you need to consult with an RV repair person who can diagnose the situation and find out if there is power getting to the pump.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:45 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilingsun View Post
Thanks for your suggestions. Yes the tank is full. No I can't find out from previous owners�� The wiring to and from the pump look good to me??? But there is an odd looking wire above the pump on the side of the bench seat. It looks like 2 plugs and has a fuse as well. Don't have a clue what it's for. But the little white plastic plugs are not plugged in to anything.
Can you post a picture? It might help to see what your pump setup looks like to see if what might be wrong.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:06 PM   #11

Smiling, if you have not posted photos before, there is a really easy way to do it -- go to the link below. Either drag a photo in, or hit select to upload it.

Then some code will pop up in a box. Copy that code and paste it into your message on this forum. The photo will show up in your message after you post it! Easy.

http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=1
Old 02-17-2019, 02:22 PM   #12
APD

Another funny question.
You said you are plugged into power. Are you hooked up to water as well? Being hooked up to an outside water source will, most times, keep the water pump off line as it's not needed to have good pressure.

If you are connected to shore water the pressure switch will hold the pump off-line unless the pressure drops.

If you are not connected to shore water, have no pump and have power to the pump then perhaps the pump or pressure switch is bad. If the pump were seized it would still try to run, I would think, causing a hum and/or maybe blowing the fuse. If not then that leaves the switch. These are usually built into the pump.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:30 PM   #13

Several have asked if the pump is turned on. Mine has a switch on the wall. If it is off, it won't run no matter what.

BUT

Nobody has asked if that switch is good. Switches break. If it is no longer working then the pump will not work. To confirm, you would have to remove the switch and test it with a simple continuity tester.
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 01:18 PM   #14

I just looked up "how to use a continuity meter" on Youtube -- lots of videos. But I could not figure out one issue -- how would you ground the continuity meter when working inside the trailer?

SmilingSun, once you figure out how to use a continuity meter (they are very inexpensive!), you can find out if you are getting power to your pump when the switch is on. Keep us posted as to how it is going!
Old 02-24-2019, 06:35 PM   #15

A true continuity meter or tester would be self powered by a battery in the tester. It does not use a ground connection. It is not polarity sensitive either. Just connect one lead to one side of a device or circuit and connect the other lead to the other side. The meter will deflect when the circuit or device is closed (shorted). No deflection when open circuit. A tester would show a light or make a sound for closed. Nothing for open.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:00 PM   #16

Default Disconnet

Make sure your disconnect switch or in the out position. You have to have a control panel how do you check your tank levels or black water levels?
rockport96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:51 PM   #17

Stop by a Harbor Freight and by the $6.00 small red Multimeter.

https://www.harborfreight.com/7-func...ter-63604.html

As with most things at HF--it borders on a piece of junk--but it is useful.

With the Multimeter you can use Ohms (which the is Omega symbol) to measure resistance (1 end of a wire to the other end) and you can measure voltage.
As you probably know, your water pump runs on 12 volts, which come from the battery, you do NOT need to be plugged in work on your problem.
The tips on leads for the multimeter are very sharp, so as long as you can see the wires going to the pump, you can puncture the insulation of both wires at the same time to measure 12v. Set the dial on 20 DC Volts. Turn it on with the little slide switch.
You might be able to stick 1 or both probes into the connection on the pump, or if there is a crimp terminal on the wires to connect to the pump, you could disconnect them, you may need a pair of long nosed pliers to pull the terminals out of the pump.
Once you turn on the meter, the display will show 0. What you want to see is 12V, when you have voltage at the pump. Try it our across your battery in you car, truck trails just to see how it works.

Hopefully, as others have mentioned, If the pressure of a city water connection is higher than the pumps cut-off switch, the pump will not run. If no external water, the pump will start running when the water pressure falls below a preset level, probably around 35psi, and stop running when the pressure gets to 45psi.

If the trailer has been in a clod winter without being properly winterized--it is probable the pump is bad and will need replacing. Amazon sell lots of models.

If you provide some pix of the pump and wiring--it would be very useful to help you.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:13 AM   #18

rondi, I always wondered why the tips on the multimeter were sharp -- now I know!! Thanks.

SmilingSun, you may not need to get a separate continuity meter after all. A multimeter is an essential piece of equipment -- very cheap -- and it lets you monitor the voltage in your battery, a key factor.