Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2018, 02:27 PM   #1

Default What kind of wax for fun finder 160x?

Well, we've had our fun finder x 160 for almost 9 years. I have never waxed it and only wash it once a year. ( I know, I've been slagging! , but it is parked on the side of our house and mostly out of the sun and weather)
This week i intend on washing it and waxing. Is regular turtle wax good enough? Can I use an orbital buffer to remove the wax?

Aslo I want to wash and condition the roof. Is the roof made of rubber or EPDM? Any recommendations on soap or conditioner to put on it?

Thank you!

donkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:56 AM   #2
Site Team

Any car wax should work. I'd be careful with an orbital buffer, especially over the decals but I would think it should be OK,

As for the roof you most likely have a TPO membrane, at least that's what I have on my 2009 FF. So you'll want to get cleaners made for it.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:44 AM   #3

Thanks so much LJAZ. I'll avoid the decals when using the orbital buffer. Not sure what TPO is, but I will look for cleaners at my local auto zone.
donkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:49 AM   #4
Site Team

TPO is short for thermoplastic olefin, it's similar to EPDM (ethylene propylene diene terpolymer) in that both are synthetic rubber materials. Each has it's pros and cons, for instance TPO weighs less.

Here's a link that talks about maintenance for the different types of RV roofs:
RV Roof Maintenance Tips,Types,and Care: Rubber, Aluminum, Fiberglass
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:07 PM   #5

Default Spic-N-Span

Per the manufacturers of the roofs on my three TVs: clean with Spic-N-Span (one added Top Job) and soft-to-medium bristle brush and scrub away, two, three, four times per year. It does NOT matter what it looks like just that it is kept clean. My used Arctic Fox fifth wheel was totally covered in black spots. Sent pictures to roof manufacture. They assured me as long as it was clean, the spots did not matter. I did get down on my hands and knees and hand scrub the whole thing the first time which did not affect the black spots.
lucynricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:10 PM   #6

I forfot - roof guys said they are tested to last 15 years (usually warrantied for 10) and should/could last 20 and more with regular cleaning, hole repair and caulk addition/replacement as needed (the caulk on mine all started cracking around four/five years).
Old 09-02-2018, 03:18 PM   #7

Well, I feel like a pest, but I keep thinking of things to add (need to think before I hit "post")... I'm an ex-sailboat blue water sailor and brought a lot of products over from boats. One was Poly-Glow for gel coat/filon-type sides. It's expensive and prep is a pain, but application is easy and results are awesome (lasts at least a year). And now you can buy the same product as a floor sealer called Zep Wet Look Floor Finish, was a only $25 for a gallon at Lower. Prep is same (a pain) as is application and results. My fifth wheel was two years old and badly oxidized. When I found the polyglow/ZEP it looked brand new. I kept the ZEP on it (once a year application) for the last three years I owned it. Commercial places are starting to use this. Google it.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:22 PM   #8

I use 303 brand protectant on my roof and on the entire exterior. This protectant does not contain petroleum distillates. Petroleum distillates will damage roof materials and vinyl, and that is what is in most other protectants like armor***. I also use 303 on tires. This has kept the graphics vinyl in great shape and is good on the fiberglass exterior walls. Be careful, it will make the roof membrane slippery! I have used 303 for decades will great results on many things.
Rocky Mtn marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:03 PM   #9
N&K

Send a message via AIM to N&K

For the past four years I have been using 303 Protectant on the roof and Maguires 50 on the body of the trailer. Maguires this year has replaced the 50 cleaner and wax with Premium Flagship Marine and Rv cleaner and wax. I usually buy this type of thing at NAPA, but they weren't carrying either product last time I was looking. Amazon of course has everything.

I am a little cautious about recommending the 303 on the Rv body. I had some overspray of 303 on the top of the front cap last year. Three months later I noticed that the area of the overspray had faded badly. Not sure what exactly caused the fading, could be a regular fading problem of FFs with this type of cap. Not very noticeable from the ground so I haven't looked further into it. Haven't had fading problems on the rest of the trailer.