Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-30-2017, 04:55 PM   #1

Default What mattress are you using in your FunFinder?

Well, I'm thinking about replacing the original mattress which is pretty much crap. So my question is what have others used. I'm worried about memory foam because my experience is they generally allow you to sink until you hit plywood. Also, although my FF indicates the bed area is 60 X80, but it actually is 58 inches wide. Anyway, I would appreciate any help or recommendations you can give.

twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinster2 View Post
Well, I'm thinking about replacing the original mattress which is pretty much crap. So my question is what have others used. I'm worried about memory foam because my experience is they generally allow you to sink until you hit plywood. Also, although my FF indicates the bed area is 60 X80, but it actually is 58 inches wide. Anyway, I would appreciate any help or recommendations you can give.
We switched out the original crappy mattress for a gel infused memory foam mattress. Ours is about 8" thick and we don't sink. But it weighs 65 pounds! The gel keeps it cooler than just plain memory foam. We chose an RV queen size because it is hard enough to make a 189 bed. But it would take a full Queen as well. We will keep that mattress for our new old Shasta and put the new pillow top from the Shasta in the FF. It is a full Queen and too long for the Shasta platform.

It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:54 AM   #3

The front bed in the XT276 is a "short" queen. Attempting to sleep on the factory excuse of a mattress once was all that prompted a run to the local mattress store for a conventional queen size mattress. IIRC, it's a Serta Sleeper.

The standard queen size fits fine and the 6" overhang on the foot end is no big deal.

That was our choice and been pleased with it.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:10 AM   #4
Site Team

We still have the original mattress, it was never great, but it wasn't all that bad either. Recently we put a memory foam topper on it. It has 2" of memory foam and another 2" of some sort of fiber material and made a huge difference. It was on sale at camping world with free shipping.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:00 AM   #5

I just bought one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
team dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:39 PM   #6

Well I just bought this one. Its got to be better than the original coil spring garbage that came with the camper. And hey, if it is too hard, I have a 2 inch memory foam overlay I can use with it. Anyway, for $150, it will do.

https://www.amazon.com/Olee-Sleep-La...ct_top?ie=UTF8
Old 03-31-2017, 04:51 PM   #7

We have a short queen Sleep Number bed. Same as in the house just a little shorter.
ChasWray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Well I just bought this one. Its got to be better than the original coil spring garbage that came with the camper. And hey, if it is too hard, I have a 2 inch memory foam overlay I can use with it. Anyway, for $150, it will do.

https://www.amazon.com/Olee-Sleep-La...ct_top?ie=UTF8
I spoke to soon, apparently amazon is no longer selling this mattress. Oh well, I will keep on looking.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:47 PM   #9

Got a 11 inch thick memory foam at overstock.com. Love it, Its heavy, but that's OK. We slept on it for 153 days in a row last year. A good nights sleep. About $400 bucks.
dennis smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:17 PM   #10

Here is another to consider. Good reviews. We have gel infused in the RV and at home. We find just memory foam is too hot. The gel helps.
Free shipping.

http://www.hayneedle.com/product/cla...m-mattress.cfm
Old 03-31-2017, 08:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by team dougherty View Post
Know of several that had those foam mattresses and got rid of them after a short time 'cause they were just to hot to sleep on.....apparently really hold ones' body heat or ??

Regardless, would appreciate your opinion after a month or so of use.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasWray View Post
We have a short queen Sleep Number bed. Same as in the house just a little shorter.

Yes, have one in the house for about 15 years now and it's awesome. Best sleeping system every IMO.

However, the price of a sleep number, short queen for the camper for the use it would get did not justify the cost.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:57 AM   #13

We just struggled to remove our 65 pound gel infused memory foam mattress from the Funfinder. Not fun!! In case you didn't know, these mattresses come deflated and rolled up in a box. Heavy but doable. When you take the covering off the slowly inflate to full size. Right now it is lying outside on a big new tarp. We put a fully encased mattress protector on it. We are now having lunch and not looking forward to maneuvering it into the house until we finish the Shasta. The one from the Shasta that is going into the Funfinder will be a piece of cake after the foam one. But we do love that foam mattress!
Old 04-01-2017, 01:53 PM   #14

I swear, Amazon drives me crazy sometimes. Yesterday they indicated that I could not get this mattress from their warehouse because it was discontinued. Today, amazingly it is available for the same price ($144 plus tax). Well I order it and they took the order this time so maybe I bought it. If it is too hard, I have a 2 inch memory foam topper I can put on it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=new
Old 04-01-2017, 02:32 PM   #15

Quote:
I swear, Amazon drives me crazy sometimes. Yesterday they indicated that I could not get this mattress from their warehouse because it was discontinued. Today, amazingly it is available for the same price ($144 plus tax). Well I order it and they took the order this time so maybe I bought it. If it is too hard, I have a 2 inch memory foam topper I can put on it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=new
Good, you will sleep much better and your box is 60 pounds and the mattress 48. Much less of a struggle than ours! We had one heck of a time getting ours out of the FF and into our house. I'm bushed. But we got the FF cleaned up to sell (no big deal) except for the awning BIG deal)!!!
Oh, we ordered this for the next big mattress move to the Shasta.
Forearm Forklift FFMCVP MovXing Cradle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011RZDAKS..._V7a4yb835XF4Y
Old 04-01-2017, 05:17 PM   #16
APD

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
Oh, we ordered this for the next big mattress move to the Shasta.
Forearm Forklift FFMCVP MovXing Cradle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011RZDAKS..._V7a4yb835XF4Y
I seen those it use many times in the HVAC trade, they are amazing (when properly adjusted). Safest way to handle weight and save your back!!
Proper shoes are the next thing, always wear proper footwear when lifting/carrying a load.

Alan
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by APD View Post
I seen those it use many times in the HVAC trade, they are amazing (when properly adjusted). Safest way to handle weight and save your back!!
Proper shoes are the next thing, always wear proper footwear when lifting/carrying a load.

Alan
Yes, we are both feeling the heavy lifting pains this evening. The foam mattress was a bear, the other full Queen not as heavy but you have to do a lot of contortions just to get those behemoths in and out of the rvs. We aren't as young as we think we are anymore, especially after a fairly sedentary winter. I always use the proper footwear..learned that from being in construction and riding motorcycles.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:04 PM   #18

Same as many have indicated, I bought the Zinus Sleep Master Ultima Comfort Memory Foam Mattress, Short Queen for my X-210UDS.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Went with the 10-inch thick, got mattress cover and sheets as well. (They were out of the 8-inch thick, and 10-inch slightly cheaper). Best decision ever!
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:25 PM   #19

We purchased our Fun Finder (used) a few years ago and it came with 4" regular foam on top of the original mattress. Very comfortable.
grossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:48 PM   #20

Just bought used 2013 210 UDS. Mattress was really bad (really, really bad).

Found the Slumber-1 10” Comfort Sprint Mattress “bed in a box” at Walmart from Zinus Inc. (zinusinc.com) for all of $164.33. They are 12 gauge inner springs (firm) with two-layer foam; per Zinus, the queen is 768 coils and the full is 630. Their “bed in a box” is a patented process.

I got a full size to replace the old RV queen as a full size is the same length as an RV queen size (74-75” long). Its just me so I don't need a queen size and the full makes it a breeze to make as there is now "tuck" room on the sides.

All standard sizes at Walmart (or directly from Zinus). The RV queen (10” for $239.00) is available on Amazon. Search for “Zinus Sleep Master” and “Slumber-1 mattress” – the prices are all over the place. They are relatively inexpensive and if you buy from Walmart, returnable. Had some email and phone conversations with the manufacturer; very nice, knowledgeable and responsive.

If you buy, be sure and follow the instructions (unpack within a couple days) and give a full 48 (or more) hours for it to "fluff" up. And it may be obvious, but I’ll recommend opening the box inside the RV. One caveat, I have not "lived" on the mattress, but I did go out and take a nap on it to make sure I didn't want to return it. I found it perfect (I like a more firm mattress).

lucynricky is offline   Reply With Quote