Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2018, 06:44 AM   #1

Default Wheel Bearings 2018 Funfinder 21rb

I have been all over the forum looking for a maintenance schedule for wheel bearings on my trailer. I was looking for the interval when you have pull the wheels and and bearing and check/replace them. Either mileage or time. I have heard recommendations from 1 year to as much as 50,000 miles. I have also read articles that say the new trailers are like cars and don't need any maintenance. Can somebody get me straight on this. I am from a salt water boating background and replacing bearings on trailers was an annual thing. Thanks.

Beachnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:06 AM   #2
Site Team

Usually it's annually. 50,000 miles seems pretty excessive and I haven't seen any described as maintenance free. Your axle assemblies are made by either Dexter or Lippert. They both have web sites with lots of info, including maintenance schedules. Check to see which axles you have and you should be able to find whatever you need from the manufacturers web site.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:55 PM   #3

For the record:
Have spoken with Lippert/Dexter a number of times over last 110,000 miles and 12 years. Like tire rubber deteriorates over time whether used or not and, in fact, faster when rarely or not used - bearing grease deteriorates over time (due to weight) and grease should be replaced every 12,000 miles or every year. This includes hubs with zircon fittings like Dexter Easy-Lube (really meant for people who put wheels into water on a regular basis). From Lippert Service Manual, "Bearing grease should be replaced every 12,000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. Remove all old grease from wheel hub and bearings first. Bearings should be packed by machine if possible." From Dexter, "Along with bearing adjustment, proper lubrication is essential to the proper function and reliability of your trailer axle. Bearings should be lubricated every 12 months or 12,000 miles. The method to repack bearing cones is as follows:"
lucynricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:58 PM   #4

Another good resource for information and replacement bearings, hubs, brakes etc. is Etrailer.com.

2015 FunFinder F214WSD
2008 F150 with Triton.
ChasWray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:10 AM   #5

Default Wheel bearings 2018 21rb

All good advice...spoken by the guy who sat on the side of I 90 in the South Dakota Badlands with a wheel fire. Had them lubed by my RV shop on my 2014 233RBS at 10,000 mile intervals. That didn't prevent the front axle bearings from wearing out at the most inopportune time. It seems the front axle wears much faster than the rear. When I checked the non flaming bearings on the side of the road, the rear were still pristine but the other front was badly worn and likely wouldn't have made it back to Ala. So...either they did a poor job of packing them, simply used the zirc fittings to add grease, or 10k miles is still too many.

2011 F-150 EcoBoost
2014 233RBS
Karbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:10 AM   #6

Well, I would not rule out the bad repacking job and also the wrong type of grease used. My personal preference is to use Lucas Red N Tacky bearing grease.

twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote