Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
sam

Default Winter Camping

Thinking about buying the X210WBS in the spring. I need something that I can use when temps get down in the low teens to single digits. Can I cover all exposed lines under the unit with the split foam tubes you use on pipes? How about heat pads for the tanks? RV antifreeze in the tanks? Cover water hose to tt with insulation tubes or one of the temp controlled heat strips? I'm new at this so any info appreciated. Thanks.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:52 AM   #2

I don't know about anyone else. But I would not want to stay in our funfunder during the winter.

June 2008, we were camping in the mountains, and the temp dropped below 0 (celcius) and it snowed 6" inches. Our furnace was working overtime to keep us warm and our feet never warmed up that weekend.

One of the problems with lightweight trailers (like the FF), is that manufacturer's don't put extras on them. For example, have you ever actually looked under your trailer. Our floor can't be thicker than 5/8" plywood with no insulation at all. Which would explain why our feet were cold on that June weekend.

Those ideas you have would work, except I'd be spray foaming the whole underneath of the trailer, but then you have one hell of a mess to try and fix anything that goes wrong underneath. You could always skirt the trailer and throw a small heater underneath. That would save you from buying all the extras.

Maybe someone else can chime in with ideas to keep it warm.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:26 AM   #3
Site Team

Wow, that's not something I've never had to deal with. I would guess heat tape would be the most effective method, but then you have to have the power for it.

Covering the exposed lines with insulation will help, but with temps in the teens or below, eventually it will still freeze if exposed for long enough.

Here's a link that might be some help:

http://rvbasics.com/techtips/Cold-Weather-RVing.html
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:42 AM   #4

I actully use mine in the winter with no problem. I did insulate the floor though. Just took some liquid nails and got a cople sheets of that pink insulation board and glued it to the plywood floor under the trailer and then added tank heaters. I also took some of the pink insulation board and glued it to the metal wheel wells under my dinett where it was just bare metal. I do have a portable electric heater in the bathroom since theres no heating in there and Ive also got one that i sit on the stove or dinett keeps it nice and warm and the furnace only comes on a few times a day. the insulation has also helped in the HOT summer.
queball110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:20 PM   #5
sam

Default queball110

Those are good ideas. I will write them down. Which unit do you have and what are you pulling it with? Thanks.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:36 PM   #6

Default Re: queball110

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam
Those are good ideas. I will write them down. Which unit do you have and what are you pulling it with? Thanks.
Ive got the 2006 fbr189 and a 2006 Jeep grand cherokee limited with the Hemi, I really would like to trade my trailer in on a 24 or 21 footer with the slide and the ducted air conditioning but their telling me now that my trailer is going on 4 years old its only worth 7 grand not bad when i still owe 13 on it.

queball110 is offline   Reply With Quote